Draining IG Pool

dm0001

Jul 24, 2015
Vegas/NV
I have a pool which was drained but the pool guy left about a foot of water which even using buckets the rest would take a while to drain. Not sure if I should avoid using the pump at this point. The main drain is located at the bottom of the pebbletec pool. The water that's left is green.

What's the best way to fill my pool back up and get it working? I've read about buying or renting the sub pump. Or should I just fill with water and handle it with chemicals?

TIA

Hi and welcome!

The easiest way to fill a pool is to put your hose in it and turn it on. It would be easier to balance with the green water out but it can be taken care of with chemicals.

How long has the pool been drained? Is there anything in there besides algae? A lot of neglected pools end up with dead animals and leaves and sticks. That stuff has to come out as it will just sit on the bottom anyway. I would avoid turning the pump on until you get more water in there. You don't want it to run dry for any length of time.

Start reading through Pool School (link at the top of the page) and Getting Started. Make sure to update your signature with your pool information for the READ THIS before you Post article.

dm,

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here..

Best to buy a cheap sump pump at Harbor Freight or similar company.

Curious, why you drained the pool in the first place?

Jim R.

Thanks. I've used this site for about two years. Great information.

I was out of town but hired someone to maintain my pool on short notice. He got to it a few weeks late and it turned green. During his first visit he took a water sample and found the TDS to be too high. So he recommended a drain and fill. I agreed but after the pool turned green he recommended an acid wash. Long story short I didn't think it really needed an acid wash so I asked to just drain but he left me 1/2 foot of water at the deep end.

From what I read you would only acid wash if there is black algae or staining on the pebblec tec surface. Please let me know if that's not correct.

I told the pool guy i don't mind doing the acid wash but needed a second opinion.

dm,

Seems to me, that unless you have some obvious visual defect, that an acid wash would do nothing but shorten your plaster's life span.

But, I am not an plaster or acid wash expert. Let's see what some of the others here have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

How long has the pool been drained?

Its not a good idea to leave the surface exposed as pool plaster is designed to be submerged. I imagine its warm in Vegas right now - your plaster will dry out and crack or even delaminate.

One more question. I have a pool with a main drain at the bottom. If i just leave the main drain valve open am I supposed to be able to drain all the water from my pool? Or does it stop a few inches of water left on the deep side?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That likely won't work at all. Most main drains are plumbed into the skimmer which means the suction will lose a prime once the water falls below the skimmer mouth.

Post a picture of your equipment pad

i posted a pic of the equipment and the remaining water in the pool.

Ultimately I'm looking for the best way to refill my pool water knowing that there is algae with the water I'm not able to drain. You can see the submersible pump I'm using but there's a few inches of water left.

Attachments

• IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 42
Just get as much water out as you can and dump a gallon of chlorine in what's left. Mix it up really well, brush and refill the pool.

I would suggest throwing a mist of water on the walls a few times throughout the day. You do not want your finish to dry out.

- - - Updated - - -

On your plumbing, my bet is you have a dedicated suction line for a pool cleaner and a main drain/skimmer combo. Is that correct?

Just get as much water out as you can and dump a gallon of chlorine in what's left. Mix it up really well, brush and refill the pool.

I would suggest throwing a mist of water on the walls a few times throughout the day. You do not want your finish to dry out.

- - - Updated - - -

On your plumbing, my bet is you have a dedicated suction line for a pool cleaner and a main drain/skimmer combo. Is that correct?

Thanks! Will do that.

I believe so. Not too sure. I do see a valve or opening or closing the drain or skimmer.

If you had a small pond pump you could pump it into a bucket and get almost all of it. Just depends on your level of OCD :rolleyes:

Considering we walk people with 32K gallons of swamp water into crystal blue I'd say you're good enough and start filling.

Thanks! Will do that.

I believe so. Not too sure. I do see a valve or opening or closing the drain or skimmer.

Either way, you would have no luck trying to prime your pump with that low of a water level. Its not worth risking burning up your pump.

- - - Updated - - -

i posted a pic of the equipment and the remaining water in the pool.

Ultimately I'm looking for the best way to refill my pool water knowing that there is algae with the water I'm not able to drain. You can see the submersible pump I'm using but there's a few inches of water left.

That diverter sitting under the suction line into your pump is for diverting water from the main drain and skimmer inside of the skimmer body. I'm certain now that your pool is plumbed that way and you cannot isolate your main drain. This is a very common practice. A dedicated main drain run to the equipment pad is usually an upgrade and one that most pool owners wouldn't know to request.

Either way, you would have no luck trying to prime your pump with that low of a water level. Its not worth risking burning up your pump.

- - - Updated - - -

That diverter sitting under the suction line into your pump is for diverting water from the main drain and skimmer inside of the skimmer body. I'm certain now that your pool is plumbed that way and you cannot isolate your main drain. This is a very common practice. A dedicated main drain run to the equipment pad is usually an upgrade and one that most pool owners wouldn't know to request.

Since main drains have to comply with the Virginia Graham Baker Act I don't think they can be isolated in new construction or remodels. There either has to be 2 main drains plumbed together and at least 6' apart so body parts cannot become entrapped if the suction on the main drain is blocked, and most main drains are plumbed into the skimmer line for the same reasons.

That is correct - Virgina Graeme Baker Act.

By isolation, I was implying a run from the deep end floor to a diverter valve and then to the pump. There are several different arrangements the floor suction inlets can be configured to comply, even with just a single pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.