Water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine?

Mar 17, 2015
Georgia
I've seen where people describe an unusual situation where the water turns green for a short period of time after adding chlorine then clears back up. This isn't happening to me but it peaked my interest and I never saw a definate conclusion on what caused it. If I have to I'll dig up the threads. What caused that reaction?

I know copper will turn the water green and also saw where the green color could have been an illusion by adding chlorine to water with sodium bromide (which is yellowish brown against a blue background creating a green color).

Situations could vary, but in general if the water reacts to chlorine by turning green right away often times it's because of metals in the water (iron or copper). Much depends upon the amount of metal in the water, but a higher FC level might cause a more immediate or prominent reaction until the FC begins to wear-off and drop back down. The color of the pool liner, shell, or plaster could also influence what color shades are presented.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.