Water looks fantastic and I want to keep it that way

Jun 16, 2016
Suitland, MD
First, I finished a SLAM a couple of weeks ago and the water looks better than it has in many years. My numbers are:

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
CH 175
TA 80
CYA 20

I needed a couple of parts from the pool store yesterday and thought I would have water tested for fun. Their numbers were pretty close to mine except TA (theirs was 44 w/stabilizer correction). The wanted to sell me alkalinity, calcium hardness increaser and cyanuric acid. My CYA has been at 30 for most of the time but a lot of rain has lowered it so started bringing it up again. Also, my pH has been rising a bit and I keep lowering it.

My question is: is there anything I need to do to keep my water looking this great?

Yes, stay out of the pool store for chemistry advice :)

If your pH is rising you do not want to raise TA. It will go down with continued acid additions and both may find a happy spot around 50-60. CYA can bump up but I'd be sure not to overshoot 30 too much. Low CH doesn't matter in a vinyl pool.

Yes, stay out of the pool store for chemistry advice :)

I am SO DONE with pool stores. Only bought the two parts I need and not any of the stuff they wanted to sell me. Thanks to this wonderful website I knew that there was no way I needed to put 9 pounds of calcium hardness increaser in my pool. Last year I would have bought all they were telling me to (which is why my water was never crystal clear like it is now) I actually can't stop staring at my water:paddle:

I actually can't stop staring at my water:paddle:
Uh-Oh! Sparklypoolitis. Get the camera and start posting the pool water on facebook.

Look down your nose condescendingly at those who go to the pool store.

Just look smug when people say, "How do you get your pool to look like this?"

There is no cure for this disease but most of us get a little better with time.

I actually can't stop staring at my water:paddle:

I hear ya'! That's where I am!

6308feb7ef3a1310f8e158925e786d88.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.