115 or 230v?

Jul 12, 2015
Orlando, FL
So my pump died and I don't know if it was running on 115 or 230? It's on a double breaker, which suggests 230, but the wires are black, white and green, which suggests 115.... The old pump wiring diagram, if I'm reading it correctly looks like it was wired for 230 (high voltage).

I want to make sure with a volt meter but I don't know how- do I touch both black and white wires with a multimeter to check the voltage, or black to ground? Or....?

Dropbox - Photo Aug 17, 19 14 30.jpg

Dropbox - Photo Aug 19, 10 36 49.png

Thanks

Yes just make sure your meter is set right and touch black and white. Should give you 230. You can also check individual by touching one of your wires and the other terminal from meter to ground. If done individual both wires will have 115 if it's a 230 system
So my pump died and I don't know if it was running on 115 or 230? It's on a double breaker, which suggests 230, but the wires are black, white and green, which suggests 115.... The old pump wiring diagram, if I'm reading it correctly looks like it was wired for 230 (high voltage).

I want to make sure with a volt meter but I don't know how- do I touch both black and white wires with a multimeter to check the voltage, or black to ground? Or....?

Dropbox - Photo Aug 17, 19 14 30.jpg

Dropbox - Photo Aug 19, 10 36 49.png

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note if it is 230 then you can wrap the white wire with black ele tape so there isn't confusion in the future

Woooooh

The thick red and black wires from the meter go to the panel and unless you are an electrician you should not be touching them.

If there are white and black wires going to your pump from a two pole breaker then you need to trace back and make sure the breaker wires actually go to the pump.

As Barnns stated across it should read 230 individually 120.

Woooooh

The thick red and black wires from the meter go to the panel and unless you are an electrician you should not be touching them.

If there are white and black wires going to your pump from a two pole breaker then you need to trace back and make sure the breaker wires actually go to the pump.

Not following. I don't know how I can trace the wires when they go underground. I'm not ripping it all up.

Can anyone review my attachments and verify that the wiring diagram and the matching wiring configuration on the old pump indicates 230v ?

Your photos suggest the pump is wired for 230. The picture shows a diagram for high voltage as.... White on B, line1, line2, Brown on A. Line1 and Line2 being the feed from your breaker panel. The photo inside the pump looks like the diagram for High Voltage. As others have said you may want to consult with an electrician just to be safe.

Woooooh

Not following. I don't know how I can trace the wires when they go underground. I'm not ripping it all up.

Can anyone review my attachments and verify that the wiring diagram and the matching wiring configuration on the old pump indicates 230v ?

You do not seem to have enough knowledge or experience to be performing these tasks. We strongly suggest you consult a qualified electrician to make sure your pool and equipment are safe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.