Bronze Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a pebble sheen pool, does calcium hardness matter?

Current readings: FC 9.0, CC0, PH 7.6, TA 100, CYA 60, CH 400.

The CH has been creeping upwards, but not too fast. How would a high CH affect a pebblesheen pool?

You should not add any more calcium to your pool as your AZ water tends to be very hard already, and with evaporation the calcium you have in there will increase. It tends to be an issue (problem) for folks out west.

BUT...to answer you question fully, yes you need calcium because if your water was light on it it could leech it out from your plaster into the water and weaken your plaster's lifespan.

Here is a guide to recommended levels-->Pool School - Recommended Levels

Yes, pH, TA and CH are very important to the longevity of your pool finish. Was it new in March? Did you register your warranty on PT's website and receive the 30 day startup and care guide from them?

Your water is prone to high CH and scale. It is important to maintain your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale. PoolMath will give you the number, adjust PH and TA to adjust CSI. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Properly managed CSI will add a decade or more to the life of your pool finish. Not managing it could result in failure in as little as 5 years. Which would not be covered by PT's warranty.

I try to keep my CSI as close to 0 as possible. The pool tile scaling has been eliminated since I started the TFP method of pool control.

I was basically just curious if CH was as important for a pebblesheen pool as compared to a plaster pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.