Help Please - Numbers posted

Jul 14, 2015
TX
Hello there, thanks in advance for the help. What I thought was some rust from a lawn chair in the pool now is looking like algae. My #'s below. Please advise what I should do please?

NON - SWG pool

FC - 3
CC - 0
TC - 3
CH 300 PPM
TA - 80
PH: 7.2
CYA - 100

Thanks again!

18'x32' IG Pool w/Spa, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, 3HP VS Pump, 420SQ Ft Pentair Filter, Rainbow 320, Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater, TF 100 Test Kit

Thanks everyone. Went ahead and threw 20oz of 73% hypo in with a good brush to bring up to slam level.

I did not use the dilution method yet, will try that tomorrow morning.

73% calcium hypochlorite? I would use plain bleach instead- your CH is already high at 300 and you said drain is not an option. For your pool volume (20k?) that 20 oz addition raised your FC by 5 ppm to 8 ppm which is still below even maintenance level recommended above let alone SLAM.

73% calcium hypochlorite? I would use plain bleach instead- your CH is already high at 300 and you said drain is not an option. For your pool volume (20k?) that 20 oz addition raised your FC by 5 ppm to 8 ppm which is still below even maintenance level recommended above let alone SLAM.

It's all I have at the moment. How much bleach would I need to put in tomorrow morning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like I can get my hands on a pump tomorrow or Sunday. Should I go ahead and bring it to slam levels today? Then drain half tomorrow or Sunday and go from there? Or just wait and drain/refill and go from there?

Also, we've had quite a bit of rain lately. Is it safe to drain half? Or can I drain on one end and fill from the other for say 12 hours and achieve the same effect without actually lowering the water level?

Thanks for all the input!

Probably best to drain first as to not waste chemicals and $$ on bleach. Yes, you can add water from one end while draining from the other, but it's not as efficient. Sometimes though, it's your only option when you only have one skimmer and no main drain. But having a pump to use should help quite a bit. Confirm that CYA first following the water exchange then start your SLAM for best results. Good luck!

Probably best to drain first as to not waste chemicals and $$ on bleach. Yes, you can add water from one end while draining from the other, but it's not as efficient. Sometimes though, it's your only option when you only have one skimmer and no main drain. But having a pump to use should help quite a bit. Confirm that CYA first following the water exchange then start your SLAM for best results. Good luck!

Thanks Splash.

I just tried the diluted method for the CYA and got 118, so it's definitely high. Also checked my FC again and it's up to 12 since I added shock and what bleach I had on hand last night(obviously not high enough for slam level). I'll wait to pump some water out then bring to slam levels. QUESTION: What can I expect the CYA to be after a 50% water replacement? And do I use the corresponding slam level of the CYA reading AFTER the water replacement? In other words, if my reading after water replacement is 60, then bring it to 24, correct?

Also -anyone know what the solution is in the TF 100 kit for testing CYA? My bottle leaked and I only have enough for probably 2 more tests as I go through this process. Can I get that solution locally?

Just wanted to post an update and new #'s. On Saturday I replaced 50% of my water and started the SLAM process. Numbers below. My PH is high, but pool school tells me PH is inaccurate during SLAM, when should it be accurate again? I know my SLAM FC is high for my CYA (I got a little carried away with the bleach). I plan to do the OCLT tonight.

FC - 34
CC - 0
TC - 34
CH 275
TA - 120
PH: 8.2+
CYA - 55-60

Thanks Caco. It's going well, looks like I'm in the clear. Losing less than 1ppm over night and water is clear as can be. Letting it drift down to normal chlorine levels now. My PH was good pre slam so should be good there. Going to need a refill on my solutions after all this testing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.