Large Bubbles

Aug 18, 2016
Norfolk, VA
Hi Everyone,

Have been reading on here all summer and I want to thank everyone for all the help you've given me without having to ask. I am having a new issue though I thought might be better if I ask. We bought a house with a pool last year and had no major issues all summer, however we've started to hit some issues this year.

I have a 26k gallon Vinyl chlorine based pool with a main drain and 1 skimmer and 2 return ports. About a month ago I started to get small bubbles from the return jets and the situation has been getting worse and worse over the last month. When i turn my 3 way port to the skimmer it works fine with no bubbles at all. As soon as I move that valve away from 100% skimmer I start to get bubbles and will lose prime quickly (5 seconds) if I go 100% main drain. The kicker is that if I turn the pump off, I don't lose prime (or it takes a lot longer if it does) even if I'm 100% main drain.

What do you think could be the issue? I ordered a new 3 way valve and it's on the way, but do you think that would be the issue? Thanks in advance.

Attached photo's for reference:
IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

As a side note, I don't know if it pertains to the above question but my pool keeps losing water to right below the skimmer line, could the leak have something to do with the bubbles? It always gets to the same spot and doesn't go any lower but it happens quickly (fill up to the top and it will be below the skimmer line in less than 24 hours).

I'd say first thing is turn the valve 50/50 so you get the air bubbles you mention, then run a garden hose (not full strength) on the suction plumbing and see if the air goes away. Start low and then work upwards.

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry I had to leave for work on short notice and just got home today. I don't typically brush anything toward the main drain aside from any algae that forms. Also, I tried the water trick and had no change in air bubbles. Even wrapped a towel along all of the unions toward the MD and soaked the towel and no change, still losing prime in ~5 seconds. Pooldv, I'll check that forum out and let you know if anything comes up.

I'm thinking it may be below ground on the MD side, It's just crazy for me to think that its sucking that much air if the union is below ground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.