Easy Touch 4 or 8?

daddymack

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Las Vegas
I currently have an easy touch 4, but I also have the upgrade board to turn it into an 8... just not sure if I need it and maybe you all who have add actual experience with these things can point me in right direction.

I am in process of building the pool. AS I understand the Easytouch 4 - it has a specialized location for two valves, solar, salt unit, the filter pump and controllers for that pump. Then I have Aux 1-4.

On my system I have IC40, 2 VS pumps, 2 valves to control, and three different lights...

Aux 1 is the pool light, Aux 2 is the bubbler lights and Aux 3 is the waterfall lights..

Doesn't that leave me Aux 4 to use for the Feature (second) pump? If so, why do I need the easy touch 8? The guy putting it in kept telling me I need the 8 because I don't have enough room to put the second pump on the aux.

thank you.

You really only have Aux 1 - 3.. The fourth relay is called the pump/filter relay and you need it to interrupt the power going to the IC40 power supply, so that the SWG is never on without the pump being on. This is how Pentair says to wire it.

Plus.. now is the time to upgrade if you are going to do it. You probably will find additional things to control after your pool is in for a while. Like a pad light (which is required where I live) or landscape lighting, or automate a sprinkler valve to fill your pool, or?????

The EasyTouch has the ability to control four valves. Two are preset for switching between the Pool and Spa, but the other two can be user defined.. solar would use one of those two..

The EasyTouch can also control two different VS Intelliflo pumps via serial cables, if that is the VS you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We are just starting our pool build but we were told that we would need to upgrade to the EasyTouch 8 for our setup. We have a VS pump for the pool/spa, water feature pump (for sheer descent and bubbler), spa blower, Color LEDs in pool and spa and color bubbler on shelf which we want to control color separately.

You really only have Aux 1 - 3.. The fourth relay is called the pump/filter relay and you need it to interrupt the power going to the IC40 power supply, so that the SWG is never on without the pump being on. This is how Pentair says to wire it.
I have to re-look at my easytouch.. I thought it had F and then Aux 1-8 ... but I just looked at a picture and it was F and Aux 1-7... so, I get what you are saying...

Plus.. now is the time to upgrade if you are going to do it. You probably will find additional things to control after your pool is in for a while. Like a pad light (which is required where I live) or landscape lighting, or automate a sprinkler valve to fill your pool, or?????

The EasyTouch has the ability to control four valves. Two are preset for switching between the Pool and Spa, but the other two can be user defined.. solar would use one of those two..

I haven't thought about the other ideas, such as yard lighting... I have a Pad light, but just had a switch next to the box put in.

The EasyTouch can also control two different VS Intelliflo pumps via serial cables, if that is the VS you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Okay.. Aha! I do have the VS Intelliflo pumps and they are attached via the serial cables... so I do not need another Aux space for the pump, no reason.... I thought that is where the control came from...

So with my system, I am maxed out... Filter/IC40 control (F) plus three Aux's - one for each light... , so any other things i might want to control through the software, I would need the additional Aux's

Bam!

Please keep in mind that if you want to control two Intelliflo pumps they have to be set to different addresses. I believe that by default they are set at address 1. You will have to change one of them to address 2. If I remember correctly, you have to do this at the pump control itself, before connecting to your EasyTouch.

You can control the VS pumps by using Feature Circuits, which means you do not have to use an Aux circuit.

Do you have ScreenLogic 2? If not, then that would be the best $375 you will ever spend. It makes programming the EasyTouch so simple that even I can do it... :kim:

Jim R.

Please keep in mind that if you want to control two Intelliflo pumps they have to be set to different addresses. I believe that by default they are set at address 1. You will have to change one of them to address 2. If I remember correctly, you have to do this at the pump control itself, before connecting to your EasyTouch.

You can control the VS pumps by using Feature Circuits, which means you do not have to use an Aux circuit.

Do you have ScreenLogic 2? If not, then that would be the best $375 you will ever spend. It makes programming the EasyTouch so simple that even I can do it... :kim:

Jim R.

Good info on the pump addresses! I do have screen logic 2!.. all controlled through my phone I guess? There is an antenna looking thing above the easytouch.. and I have the item I have to attached to my router...

For turning something on or off the phone is ok, but for programming your really need to be using your PC.

I find using the phone too clumsy for me. I use my PC where I can use the mouse and the screen is big enough for me to see...

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.