Newbie needs help

Aug 15, 2016
Ocoee
my husband bought a different brand of shock and dumped 3 bags in the pool before we went on vacation. we've done that in the past, and come home to a perfect pool. but the new shock is not the old shock, and now our CYA is 100 (per pool store). I drained 12 inches and replaced with fresh water. Now the CYA is 110. My FC is 3-4, but I believe that is not enough. I think I have algae forming. It has been a constant problem with this pool. There is no mustard on the walls yet, but the water looks sandy/cloudy. I am skeptical about replacing more water, but don't know what else to do. Someone recommended Bio-Active, but that has very mixed reviews. Any advice appreciated! Thank you!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your #1 priority should be testing the water on your own with the proper test kit. I would highly encourage the TF-100 (link below) with speed stir. From there you can confirm the CYA because that will determine how much water will need to be replaced to lower the CYA if required. Until then, I wouldn't do anything to the pool except add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each evening. Nothing else. Only with the proper test kit will you solve that mystery, and it's easy to do. Nice to have you with us.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Your #1 priority should be testing the water on your own with the proper test kit. I would highly encourage the TF-100 (link below) with speed stir. From there you can confirm the CYA because that will determine how much water will need to be replaced to lower the CYA if required. Until then, I wouldn't do anything to the pool except add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each evening. Nothing else. Only with the proper test kit will you solve that mystery, and it's easy to do. Nice to have you with us.
^^^^^ What he said

Just so you know, "shock" - all "Shock" adds CYA. Any chlorine in solid form has CYA in it - pucks, sticks, poweder, whatever. That's just the nature of the beast. Powdered "shock" is nothing different than ground up pucks. For the future, you will do much better by raising your FC using a gallon or two of liquid chlorine (plain old bleach) before going on vacation. It will not add CYA to your pool.

-dave

Just so you know, "shock" - all "Shock" adds CYA. Any chlorine in solid form has CYA in it - pucks, sticks, poweder, whatever. That's just the nature of the beast. Powdered "shock" is nothing different than ground up pucks. For the future, you will do much better by raising your FC using a gallon or two of liquid chlorine (plain old bleach) before going on vacation. It will not add CYA to your pool.

-dave
Just to clarify, Calcium Hypochlorite (granular HTH shock from walmart ect) does not have CYA. It will cause your CH to increase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.