Skimmer sock - all the time or just occassionally?

May 22, 2009
I tried a skimmer sock (knee high nylon) the other day and was AMAZED at what it picked up. There was this thick slimy gunk on it after just a couple of hours. I rinsed it out and put it back on. I forgot about it till the next morning, but when I checked it again, same thing. Thick layer of sand colored slime. I threw that one away and didn't put a new on one yet.

Do you all keep yours on all the time? Or just do it every once in awhile?

I have had mine on for a month straight now. There for a week or so I was having to clean mine at least 2 times a day... now I'm able to clean it once a day, but I just can't believe the gunk! and the hair!?? It looks like my cats are swimming in my pool a night or something?? :?:

I use mine all the time.

You should see all the icky yellow pollen I've been catching. I'm using the same ones from last year, although after the washing and bleaching, are looking kind of ragged.

Time to invest in some new ones :)

Your intake pipe actually goes through your skimmer basket? That would pretty much negate even having a basket, wouldn't it? Got a picture by chance?

Here's a picture of my basket and sock that kind of shows how the sock is installed on the basket (and also shows the stuff it catches, too!). The opening of the sock has an elastic band.

IMG_0002.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use it all the time. Before using the sock, we had to clean the cart filter every 3 to 4 weeks due to rising pressure -- what a job that is with 4 monster carts. Now we clean the cart every 3 months.

I still clean the skimmer basket pretty much every day, or maybe every other day now after fall and spring debris seasons, and I also swish the basket and sock in a bucket of pool water to clean it off. Amazing what is in that bucket, so much dirt and pollen and tiny stuff that would have been in the cart filter.

I've never used a skimmer sock but just went through a friend's stuff she was ditching and found 4 pair of nylons. I threw a pair on the basket and wow. :shock: I didn't think my pool had that much crud in it! I got the thick greenish yellow layer of this yucky stuff after a few hours! I'm surprised. Really, I am. It's pretty cool! 8)

Last year I used the skimmer socks and while they did catch a lot of crud, I got tired of hosing them off whenever I emptied the skimmers. This year I'm letting the carts pickup the junk, I clean them twice a year either way.

Re: Skimmer sock - cloudy water in skimmer?

For those of you using knee-highs, does the water in your skimmer turn cloudy over night? When I go out in the morning to empty the skimmer basket, the water is very cloudy when I remove the basket/knee-high. I'm wondering if maybe the rubber in the knee-highs is breaking down or something?

Thanks,
Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.