Skimmer sock - all the time or just occassionally?

I'm of the opinion that this is not needed unless the filtration results are less than desired. More importantly while this keeps things from the filter - depending on the filter type that may not be desired. Both sand and cartridge filters improve their filtration when they are dirty - so using these may be defeating something important to the main filter. In many ways this may be a solution looking for a problem.

Sure the bags get dirty - but is it dirt that would have come back to the pool or dirt the filter would have gotten? Unless you put the same bags on the returns and find the same level of dirt you may just be pre-filtering when it isn't needed.

On the other hand - if the filtration system is not able to provide adequate filtering - this seems like a great way to augment it.

Excellent point! I've been using skimmer socks all season and thought they were great because they catch more than without. Not having to backwash seemed to be the main benefit to me. But on the other hand, my sand filter does the job just fine without it. Maybe there is no reason to use them (under normal circumstances).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! my skimmer socks. We live in an area of very high pollen. The socks can look downright fluffy with the stuff some days in spring when I change it (daily). It also catches a lot of pine needles that fly into the pool and could easily slip through the holes of the skimmer basket.

YippeeSkippy said:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! my skimmer socks. We live in an area of very high pollen. The socks can look downright fluffy with the stuff some days in spring when I change it (daily). It also catches a lot of pine needles that fly into the pool and could easily slip through the holes of the skimmer basket.

I'm not trying to start a war on skimmer socks - just wanted more data about why they are so loved by so many when they seem like an extra step in search of a problem. In your case I can see the benefit of keeping needles from getting to the pump.

UnderWaterVanya said:
I'm of the opinion that this is not needed unless the filtration results are less than desired. More importantly while this keeps things from the filter - depending on the filter type that may not be desired. Both sand and cartridge filters improve their filtration when they are dirty - so using these may be defeating something important to the main filter. In many ways this may be a solution looking for a problem.

Thanks UnderWaterVanya. My (cartridge) filtration has frankly been awesome since I opened the pool. I am still a novice however and thought with no downside, why not try the sock? It will reduce the frequency with which I have to clean my cartridge at the very least. But, I was totally unaware that the filtration improved when it was dirtier. Appreciate the other perspective. I still think I'll try it once to see what happens though.

Pauls234 said:
Thanks UnderWaterVanya. My (cartridge) filtration has frankly been awesome since I opened the pool. I am still a novice however and thought with no downside, why not try the sock? It will reduce the frequency with which I have to clean my cartridge at the very least. But, I was totally unaware that the filtration improved when it was dirtier. Appreciate the other perspective. I still think I'll try it once to see what happens though.

To be fair - I'm only repeating what I have read and there is a point at which the cart overturns and you have too much dirt and the flow is reduced too much.

It is a balancing act, you will have to clean the dirt out something, somewhere. You can do it every few days, easily, by upending the skimmer basket in a bucket of water. Or you can wait until you have to do a cleaning of the filter. With my cartridge filter, that is a major production, lots of time and water spent cleaning the pleats. The less sand and leaf bits the better, IMO.

The trade-off is that someone has to check those skimmers every few days in the summer, nearly daily in the fall or after a major rainstorm. When the pine needles are falling, we can be sucking air in the skimmers due to overfilling overnight. That said, I was told that pine needles can get past the skimmer and the pump basket and if they wind around the impeller can damage the pump. So, for me, that seals the deal.... must protect the pump from pine needle bits.

UnderWaterVanya said:
I'm of the opinion that this is not needed unless the filtration results are less than desired.

I agree 100%. I tried the sock but it got so full the pump almost lost prime. I had to clean it twice in three hours. That's way too much work. Besides, the pool is crystal clear; couldn't see a difference either way. Every pool is different so you have to decide for yourself, but if the water looks great, why bother?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My skimmer sock (plus sized knee high) ended up in my filter pump! LOL, it came right through. I forgot to remove it when I vacuumed. Then I replaced it, and remembered to remove the skimmer, only to watch the thing get sucked into my line and head back to the filter. TG for this thread and the pictures! I was putting it on the outside of the basket. :oops: Off to place my third knee high, properly. Thank you for this thread!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.