New Pool Installation

sandman98

Silver Supporter
Aug 17, 2016
Warminster, PA
Hi All,
Just signed a contract this week, with the hopes of our new fiberglass pool being installed this fall. I would imagine swim season will be over here in the northeast by the time it's done, so the installer will winterize and cover once it's done.

I've been lurking here for a couple weeks, reading up on pool equipment, water chemistry, etc. Great site you guys have developed here, with tons of useful information.

The specs are as follows:
Viking Coronado--13k gallons
Whisperflo 2 speed pump
Pentair SWG
Electric heatpump

1. I expect my installer will add salt and whatever else is required at startup. Is that a reasonable expectation, even though it will be closed shortly after build completion?
2. Do I need a test kit this season, or should I wait until spring (I would guess reagents have a shelf-life)?
3. Should I source any chemicals now, or wait until spring?
4. Is there anything else I should do before the pool is winterized (i.e. specific chemicals to add or water chemistry to aim for)?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions once spring arrives and the pool is open for use.

Steve

Exciting! Good to have you here as well :)

If water is in the contract, builder will include the initial chems. If he'll give you a few hundred off to do it yourself, grab that option.
Get the test kit but not til a couple weeks before you're going to fill it.
You'll need some chems for closing, but may as well get those closer to the time

Here's a description of TFPC: TFPC for Beginners
Read ABC's of water chemistry cause you will balance the water as soon as it's full: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Here's what goes on at closing: Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Get a bigger filter and SWG. Whatever is rated for your pool size, get one size bigger. Two sizes bigger on the SWG is good. Sweet talk the builder and see if he'll upsize them for nothing. PBs get the stuff pretty cheap. 2-speed pump is a great decision. Likewise, if he likes you, you might be able to sweet talk him into a variable speed pump. If he charges the full difference extra, it may not be fully worth it economically, but they are fun to tweak, and nice to have if you're adding/fine-tuning solar heating, water features or a pool cleaner later on.

Have fun with the project! There will be many better experts than me with help for you. Glad you found us. Welcome!

Thanks for the response. Thought a lot about a VS pump, but I'm concerned about the sensitivity of the controller/electronics with lightning strikes and power surges during swim season. I figured the two speed would offer some savings with (?maybe) more durability.
I'll ask about upsizing the SWG. I think he already upsized the filter--I'll have to look at the specs in the contract.

So I will need to have the water balanced and chlorinated prior to closing. Good to know. Guess I'll pick up some bleach and baking soda when I'm at Costco...

Yes, a 2 speed pump is cheaper and does not have any onboard electronics to get fried. A surge suppressor in the electrical panel for your pool will protect the electronics in a VS pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.