spa check valve

Apr 20, 2016
marana az
I'm having a problem with the spa draining down when the pool shuts off. I've read that it's probably the check valve. I've been searching all over the Internet for a replacement. I'll post a pic and hopefull someone has seen this style. Maybe someone has a different solution to my problem. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP...

Sorry, but none of those look like a check valve to me.

Send us a pic showing the area at the input to the pump and another at the output from the filter back to the pool. Stand back a couple of feet.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for your response.
I will send more pics of the system today.
Kadavis, that's exactly what it is. What's the purpose of this valve?
Mine leaks when it's running. Would that cause air in the system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can't see from the picture you posted, but this line actually tee's off from pool return side of three way valve to spa side of valve. There's a valve with red handle that controls how much water will enter spa.The reason they leak is because there is a small gasket inside on a shaft that opens when pump off and closes when on. Over time there's a buildup of calcium and it no longer seals

Here are some more pics of the system. Sorry for the side ways pics. I'm new and don't know how to rotate them.
Here are my questions.
1. What's the purpose for this vacuum valve?
2. If that's leaking, could that cause air in the system?
I just had a new intelliflo pump installed and it seems like there is air in the system.
3. Should the pump basket be full of water at all times? No air, even at different rpms. At lower speeds the basket doesn't seem to fill all the way up.
Thanks again for the help, Tim

Attachments

• 20160819_063617.jpg
    20160819_063617.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160819_063602.jpg
    20160819_063602.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160819_063548.jpg
    20160819_063548.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160819_063654.jpg
    20160819_063654.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 41

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't see if the ozone unit is on or not, but the blue tubing runs to a small control valve on top of a 3/4" pipe. This pipe goes into the ground and comes backup into a tee on your suction line. If the control valve is slightly open it will let a small amount of ozone gas into system (air bubbles). You can close if not needed. Also Jim is correct at a lower speed the pump will not fill up entirely. Another problem could occur at a lower RPM and the vacuum breaker may not close properly if there isn't enough pressure. The reason the vacuum breaker is there is because your spa is elevated above pool. When your pump shuts off the water in spa wants to seek it's own level with the pool and will drain down until the vacuum is broken. So with this device when the pump turns off it lets air into pipe stopping the siphon. The pool builder has been doing it this way for years.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. This site is awesome. I am learning a lot.
I bought this house in may. I am new to this kind of system. It was salt water. Now its back to chlorine. What Is that blue ozone tube for? Is it part of the salt water system? I think it is off now, but I will double check.
Thanks again, Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.