Need help locating my water supply shutoff for pool

Sal512

May 17, 2015
Austin, TX
I have looked all around the pool, cannot locate it. I saw something but that is the shutoff for sprinklers. Is the green knob on the bottom left in the picture the pool shutoff. The box is the pool heater
2897ec62b9113f9509ddb9b12bdae2b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not see the shut off in the video it's usually tied to the nearest water line not necessarily at the equipment pad. Since all you want to do is temporarily shut it off in the hopes of some free rain water I would use some string or tape to hold the float up that will shut it off for now.

There is probably an adjustment screw in the auto fill that could also shut it off but if you use that you will have to recalibrate it when you go back to normal operation

Due to heavy rains in austin past 3 days, the pool was overflowing. The coping and deck around my pool is disintegrating due to the salt water pool. To prevent that i am trying to keep the water level low. I turned multiport valve to waste and let out some water this morning, but i forgot to turn it back to filter position. Later in the day, my controller program kicked in and turned on the pump, water came out of the pool . Luckily i noticed that and stopped the pump, but i lost about 12 inches of water. Now i want to prevent it being topped up using the auto fill, i want to leave it like that and let more rains during the next two weeks top it up. But i cannot locate the shut off. I am going to try and put a wooden block to hold the float of the fill valve up, as a workaround

I did not see the shut off in the video it's usually tied to the nearest water line not necessarily at the equipment pad. Since all you want to do is temporarily shut it off in the hopes of some free rain water I would use some string or tape to hold the float up that will shut it off for now.

There is probably an adjustment screw in the auto fill that could also shut it off but if you use that you will have to recalibrate it when you go back to normal operation

My autofill does not have a screw, to adjust. Its the old style fluidmaster fill valve, the water height is adjusted by moving the metal clip up and down. Dont know how to shut it off

I think i located the shutoff for the auto fill, its underneath the wooden deck, i will have to crawl underneath to reach it and turn off. Scared to crawl under deck at night, due to snakes and scorpions. I will try it in the morning. For now i have used my kids lego blocks to hold the float raised up

I really need to find a better way to maintain constant water level in the pool. The auto fill is only for top off when level drops. Is there a device i can install to lower water level automatically, in case i am out of town

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not that I am aware of specifically designed for a pool. Many that have that type of concern buy a submersible sump pump with an adjustable float valve and put it on the steps. Cost around $50 to $150 depending on model and where you buy. Harbor Freight is usually cheapest if there is one near you.

I don't have a picture of one installed but this is a picture of the style of switch that will work. It can be attached to a Vertical pipe such as some PVC and adjusted to any level or depth of water. It then plugs into virtually any pump and controls the power to the pump

10-0055-1.jpg

Depending on your pump what attech described above might work.

I have my doubts that you have the technical know how to install it. It requires knowledge of electrical wiring and how your pump is controlled and wired. Moreover those switches are not listed for use in a pool so their use violates the National Electrical Code. NEC 680.4.

Do you have an overflow installed on your pool so if it gets to full it overflows into the sewer?

Depending on your pump what attech described above might work.

I have my doubts that you have the technical know how to install it. It requires knowledge of electrical wiring and how your pump is controlled and wired. Moreover those switches are not listed for use in a pool so their use violates the National Electrical Code. NEC 680.4.

Do you have an overflow installed on your pool so if it gets to full it overflows into the sewer?

No i dont think there is an overflow installed . When it rains heavy, i notice the pool water overflows onto the deck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.