What is the best material to put around an above ground pool

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
We moved in this home 3 years ago, and I did not think we would have lived here that long. We have a 22 foot Intex pool and last year I put a load of red wood mulch around the pool.
It seems like for whatever reason over the course of the last 2 years the area in front of the pool and to the right of it has shown in the pictures is very flood-prone. Maybe we just have more rain then I noticed in the first year.

When I know I have found a lot of mulch in the yard and I think some of it has even washed all the way out to the street and probably in the storm drains.

Everybody seems to have P gravel around their pool if not mulch. I'm not too good in the yard other than Mowing and trimming the weeds, what is the best material to put around a pool that would actually stay there?
d68be068f8b362091c795d2835ea3468.jpg
a026f37f1d34e38c1f39b3d61b65f691.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I've been think about what I'm going to put around my pool as well. I did box around my pool area with 2x4's. I call it my weed eater boards because like you I don't want to weed eat near the pool and I wanted something to hold the media that I choose in place (I've been thinking about river stones). I'm still in the process of killing all the left over grass inside my box. I'm interested in see what some people suggest.

Reactions: Zwrickers
I used small red lava rock around the pool I built at my parents house pool 30 years ago that is still there and still looks good. And also those Doughboy pools last!

I used river pebbles over landscaping fabric, 14 bags at $3.50/bag. I had previously tried mulch, but it ended up all over the yard.

temporary_zps96f23d75.jpg
temporary_zps04820591.jpg
temporary_zps73437906.jpg

I put rocks around the outside of my pool because I did not want to "weed-eat" near the pool, and I did not want to chance weeds (or anything else) growing up through the liner. I spray my rocks with roundup ever so often to ensure that I do not have any growth near the pool. If I want some decorative plants, I will place a potted one near the pool.

People joke that my yard looks like a stone yard - I have a number of different kinds of rock in different places.

I have 3/4" clean (what everyone calls "gravel" in some spots (mainly for drainage in areas you cannot see)
I have 3/8" grey pea gravel in some areas - like under the swing set.
I have 3/8" yellow pea gravel around some trees
I have what is known around here as Eastern Surnise in some areas
I have 2" egg rock around the pool.

Pea gravel gets everywhere - it is too small, in my opinion, to put around the pool. It gets knocked out of wherever you put it too easily. It works great under a swing set, because a good layer (I think I have 8") of pea gravel provides a cushioned surface for around swings and play structures.

Eastern Sunrise is pretty, it is it like volcanic rock - I really have no idea where they source this stuff from. It is unstable to walk on, and the dog hates it (it hurts his paws). It is also a pain to weed in (because it is so sharp)

Egg rock (or river rock) works great around the pool. It is large enough to stay in place, but it nests well. The rounded edges make it easy to pull any stray weeds that get into it.

3/4" clean stone is just ugly - but if you are filling in a 2' deep drainage ditch behind a shed, it is the cheapest way to go.

When buying stone, bulk is SO much cheaper than bags. If you have a need for any sort of quantity of stone, look into bulk delivery. Or, even better, if you can get it yourself, its even cheaper. Just be careful, stone is heavy. I have a small trailer. It could hold, by volume, about 2 yards of material. I will only pick up a 1/2 yard at a time (there is a place around here that will sell in 1/2 yard quantities) because it is so heavy. I picked up a full yard of 3/4" once, and the way that trailer was creaking, I was aftaid I was going to snap the axle on it.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And that's the solar cover holder design! Much better than what I was going to do. Thanks for the pic, phonedave!

Thanks. I did not want it hanging on / supported by the rim of the pool. The ground holds all the weight. I drilled the holes into the bottom of the support caps, and the whole thing tips up into them, to keep it from moving around. I didn't glue any of it, because I though I would take it in for the winter. I never did, and this will be its third winter with no problems. No problems with leaving it in place and putting on the winter cover.

-dave

Reactions: frodosdojo
Love the design. One question - would there be a problem if I were to raise up the cross members so the cover would be further off the ground when in the holder? Thought is that would make it easier to reach over to grab it from inside the pool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Love the design. One question - would there be a problem if I were to raise up the cross members so the cover would be further off the ground when in the holder? Thought is that would make it easier to reach over to grab it from inside the pool.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't see a problem with doing so. With the set up the way I have it, when I pull the solar cover off of my 27' pool, and let it fall loosley into the holder, the top is about a foot below the top edge of the pool. Keep in mind that I have to fold the edges in as I take it off. The cover is 27' wide, and the holder is about 15, so with the whole cover in there, it takes up aboul all of the space.

-dave

I cleaned out a 2' area from the pool wall. I placed black metal edging at the outside edge of the 2' space. I then put down a material weed block in the space between the metal edging and the edge of the pool. I then filled with white marble rocks/chips. Looks nice and clean and easy to weed eat around. I spray with roundup when needed.

I cleaned out a 2' area from the pool wall. I placed black metal edging at the outside edge of the 2' space. I then put down a material weed block in the space between the metal edging and the edge of the pool. I then filled with white marble rocks/chips. Looks nice and clean and easy to weed eat around. I spray with roundup when needed.

Show us your pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.