CYA test won't go cloudy????

OK, got my k-2006 yesterday and tested for the first time this morning :lol:
Everything seems to be going OK after much appreciated instruction by another members beautiful instruction guidlines :goodjob:

The problem I'm now having, though is I can't seem to get the CYA test to work...the water won't turn cloudy, even though I performed the test both ways , as instructed... I'm a little apprehensive to try it again for fear that I'm going to run out of reagent fairly quickly at this rate.
Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance
RR

Your CYA level is zero. CYA will always be zero right after a pool is first filled, and is sometimes zero when you open in the spring.

On the other hand, if you added a large amount of CYA a week ago, then maybe something else is going on.

Here's where I'm at:

Initial readings with new kit:

FC=2
CC=0
TA= 80
PH= 7.2
CYA= ??

Took a sample to pool store. Their readings:

FC= 2.0
CC = 0.0
TA = 70
PH = 7.4
Stabilizer = 40

Don't know why there is a discrepancy in the results, should I be concerned or is this normal?

My pool water is crystal clear.

As I understand ...I have been using pucks up to now which leaves Stabilizer behind so I should be reading some CYA in the water. The pool store was able to get a reading...

Or am I not understanding this???

Thanks
RR

You have a valid reason to question the results, but you should trust your own testing and the Taylor test kit. Pool stores have a remarkable ability to be wildly wrong on occasion.

The CYA test will tend to read any level lower than 20 as if it was zero. Your CYA level could easily be 5, or 10, or even 15 and still give the results you saw. Assuming you started using pucks fairly recently (last two or three weeks) after either filling the pool or opening from being winterized, the CYA level could have started at zero and would not have built up all that high.

If you are going to continue using tichlor pucks, then you can leave things the way they are, and the CYA level will keep building up. Then in another three to four weeks you can test the CYA level again and see where it has gotten to.

Thanks, very much for your assistance!
I have bought a supply of BBB and plan on starting the program from today forward! :whoot:

I guess I need to begin on a CYA increase program...As I have read I understand it may take weeks to bring it up to proper levels. Any recomendations as to how I should proceed?

As per your recommendation I will plug my numbers into the Pool and adjust accordingly?

Thanks again!

Alright, switching to BBB you want your CYA to start the season around 50. Assume CYA is 10 right now and add enough to bring it up to 40 or 50. Give it a week to fully dissolve and then test your CYA level again to see how you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.