Stripped Air Pressure gauge causing leak

Aug 17, 2016
Brooksville
Hi,
I just purchased a house with an in ground pool. The pool has a Posi-Clear Filter. The pressure gauge was broken so I bought a new one. Unfortunately, it was cross threaded when they put it in (It is platic threads. I removed it, but when I put the new one in, I have a small water leak. I tried using extra teflon tape and that did not help. I don't want to pull it out again because it will just make it worse. Can I just caulk the leak around the pressure gauge? Do I need to purchase a new top to the filter from Posi-clear?

It is just a very small trickle of water, but I want to make sure it gets fixed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Caulk rarely works. You can try more Teflon tape or try some pipe dope or both. Other options are drill and tap the hole to the next size up and use a bushing.

+1 try it with a bit of pipe dope (just don't get any on the little hole in the bottom of the gauge stem)

It's a common problem when mixing metal and plastic threads. The trick is to turn the male side counter-clockwise with slight pressure. When you feel the male thread drop into place, then turn clockwise. If you feel it shift out of straight alignment, stop. Back it out and have another go.

Go to your local hardware store and pick-up a (1/4-18NPT) tap. It has a square end that takes a 7/16 end wrench. Make sure it's straight and start threading it into the hole in 1/2 rotations at a time. Every 2 full rotations back it out 1 full rotation and continue to thread it back in. You'll do this till you're 3/4 to 2/3 the way in. That should be good enough to cut new threads for your gauge.

GL!

Went to the plumbing shop today. The guy told me not to use Pipe Dope as it is more of a lubricant than a sealant (Same with the tape). He told me to use a thread sealant. He also said that I might not get it off if I need to change it out.

Since I don't know much about this, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Greatly appreciate everyones help so far.

Scott

They are both a lubricant and a sealant I don't know a single plumber what would claim otherwise and I know 3 plumbers. I would not use thread sealant at least not until I first tried the suggestions above. Try the tape alone first, then the tape with dope, then if both those fail tap a size up and use a bushing. One of those will work. If you are uncomfortable doing the work I would bet a landscaper would do it fairly cheap what you need done is not any more complicated than working on an irrigation system

They are both a lubricant and a sealant I don't know a single plumber what would claim otherwise and I know 3 plumbers. I would not use thread sealant at least not until I first tried the suggestions above. Try the tape alone first, then the tape with dope, then if both those fail tap a size up and use a bushing. One of those will work. If you are uncomfortable doing the work I would bet a landscaper would do it fairly cheap what you need done is not any more complicated than working on an irrigation system

Thanks for the info. I already tried the tape, and it did not help. Right now, it is not leaking, so I am just going to keep an eye on it. But if necessary, I will try the suggestions above. Everything I have seen indicates that the pool filter by Sta-Rite is a piece of junk. You can't even get a new top for it because it is Obsolete (Even though it is only 10 years old).

Scott

I agree with atttech-2 and my original response. :) Don't ask that guy for advice again, he knows not! It is fine to leave it be since it isn't leaking. It is also ok to try using more Teflon tape. Sta-rite was purchased by Pentair not too long ago. I don't know if it was good or bad before that. It is good now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.