Cover and reel question

dansdad

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2013
Ok, now I've read some stuff about reels and covers. I have a 15x35 inground fiberglass and I want a cover to get the pool warm as its normally top 80's here, and I have solar on the roof. Now what cover ( flat.. bubble etc) and what reel and how to cover reel when not in use? Thank you Dave

The general consensus here at TFP is that thinner covers are more cost effective and easier to handle. Thicker covers don't necessarily last any longer or preserve heat any better. The main purpose of a solar (bubble) cover is to not lose heat to evaporation and cooling at night. Clear or dark color covers likely add the most amount of heat from sunlight. However, the standard blue covers are a decent compromise and are cheaper than a clear or black cover.

Because I buy the cheapest solar cover I can (8 mil blue) I tend to ignore trying to protect it much from sunlight when it's off the pool... Not necessarily the best advice, but when my cover is rolled up, the reel goes next to the fence behind the diving board area. It's in full sun until about 5-6 pm, which is not great for the cover. If you can, put the reel in the shade when it's rolled up. Over the winter, it's best to wrap the cover (on the reel) in opaque plastic sheeting.

Here is the local favorite solar cover reel, DIY Solar Cover Roller

+1 to thin and cheap covers. I use 8 mil clear and it makes a big difference in temp loss over night. Covering the cover with a tarp or something when it is off the pool will help it last longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.