Pool Decoration

Aug 16, 2016
Florida
I got the intex ultra frame 22x52. I would like to decorate the surroundings by adding mulch, or pine straw, or decorative stones.

My question is what is the best option according to your experience. I've heard that mulch can bring pests (termites or ants). Also get blow, and if it gets into the pool the color can ruin the water and, etc, etc. But is a cheap solution, that's why I have been considering this option as #1. From your experiences what are the pros and cons.

I don't know what would be the difference with pine straw. Could you provide the differences from the mulch.

Decorative stones sounds like a good idea, but I dont know what quantity should I order and how much it will cost. I think it will be pricey. If you have experience could you provide some cost and quantity estimations according to my pool size. I would like a 2 feet border from the pool sides.
I have attached an image with a nice decorative store I have in mind.

Black-Mexican-pebbles-Landscape-Rock-Garden-rock-Decorative-Stones.jpg

Thank you for your advise.

You should be able to calculate how much ston eyou need. I am ssuming you have a 22' round pool. So a 2' border would be 24' in diamater. Using area = pi * R^2 you have an area of 452 sq ft - 380 sq ft = 72 square feet. Lets say you want to go 4" deep (thats 0.33 feet) so you need 24 cubic feet of rock. One yard is 27 cubic feet.

So, now you need a yard of rock (or whatever material you decide to use) to put a 2' border 4" deep around your pool. Go an price out what the material will cost.Different rock costs differently.

Be aware, bagged material is going to cost a LOT more than bulk. If you can somehow get bulk material delivered (a yard is usually too little to have deliverd- around here 3 yards seems to be the minimum) you will save a load. Maybe if you find a small landscaping / nursery that is near your house they may be able to accomidate you. Some places are now using super sacks to deliver. It's like a big bag that holds a yard or two of material and they unload it off the truck with a crane. They will deliver smaller quantities with a super sack because they can load multiple materials on the same truck. It does cost a bit more for super sack deliveries, as compared to just a dump, but it is still cheaper than bagged.

-dave

I did a border of 15" around my Intex with pebbles and put pots of flowers and solar lights as well. It is contained with a rubber border from Lowes. ([FONT=&quot]Rubberific 4-ft Black Landscape Edging Section)[/FONT]. The pebbles show footprints but they are easy on the feet if you have to get in there to retrieve something, work on plumbing, etc. Bulk is cheaper but you cannot return extra so be sure you calculate correctly. Most important, it stays out of the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.