Orange/Brown spots on plaster

tubngo

Jul 8, 2016
Santa Clarita/CA
I've attached some photos of spots that I'm getting in my pool. There was 1 set of these when I first bought the house a year ago. I do know the original owner had used a pool service and not chlorine pucks. After I moved in, not knowing anything I listened to my brother and just did the pucks and MA. I've since completely switched over to TFPC after a drain and re-fill a month ago, my pool looks and feels amazing, but now I've gotten more and more spots. I read somewhere in the forums recently about using vitamin c pills or pucks against the spots to properly identify, but I just wanted to be sure. I've attached pictures of my plaster below (yes the plaster is really old and I'll eventually get it re-done).

My current pool chemistry readings are:
FC: 6.0ppm
CC: 0
TA: 110 (a tad high, but have lowered from 130)
pH: 7.6ppm
CYA: 30ppm

Picture 1 is of where the first set of spots were when I moved in, the others have shown within the last 2 months. The second photo is by the jet return where I usually poor the liquid chlorine or MA. I do brush after I pour in MA.

As always, thanks you for your time!

Hey there! :wave: Wow, I just saw your bump and it's been a while. So let's see ...... a CH of 200 is slightly low. According to our TFP Pool School - Recommended Levels page, 250 is the minimum for a non-SWG plaster pool. Could that cause the stains you are seeing? Hard to tell. I doubt it would have much effect on organic stains. Might depend on how long it was low or the unknown history of the previous owners. The small spots in pic 2 under the return jet remind me of something I personally experienced recently when I allowed some bugs (organic) to sit in the deep end too long before vacuuming. Those were resolved with some aggressive/daily brushing and an elevated FC level 60% - 100% of my SLAM level. The darker spots in pic one look different though, almost look like either something metal sat on the floor, or perhaps they are metal sources trying to show-through from the bottom.

Either way, I suspect the best thing to do right now is see if you can determine what type of stains they are. For that, I would review the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page. That should help. We'll try to keep this thread active for more review and ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.