New Pool Setup - Brown Problem

Aug 16, 2016
Albertville, MN
I just purchased my kit and would like to use the BBB method. However, I'm not 100% sure how to get started. Do I test everything in the kit and then how do I know how much Bleach Borax or Baking Soda to add. Does it tell you someplace on this site or another site? I filled my pool up and within 1 day it turned green. I added 2 gallons of bleach and now it is brown. We have had this pool for 2 years and have nothing put issues going to the pool store. We have only been able to keep it clear for a few days. So I decided to try this BBB method vs. going to the pool store. Any advice would be helpful as we are just getting started with this method.

Pool school has all of the answers, though it can seem overwhelming at first.

The pool calculator is invaluable and will help you figure out the quantities of bleach, acid, etc to add.

Your scenario sounds just like mine. I filled from a well, then a few days later., it was nasty brown. I had tremendous success using the 5 gallon bucket iron filter. It sounds like a gimmick, but it turned my pool sparkling in 2.5 days. What came out of the bucket was pure rust.

You've come to the right place!

Yes, very overwhelming. I wish they just had a document that says - do the following tests; and based on the results it would tell you what to add to the pool. We have been struggling with this for 2 years and unable to keep the pool clear. Is the 5 gallon bucket iron filter an actual filer? We were told by the pool store last year to purchase a $300 sand filter and it should solve our problems, so we purchased it this year and it hasn't. I reviewed the ABCs of Pool Water, but it just is explaining what each component is - I really need the basics of what to even do to get started! Thanks for your help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.