high pressure at filter

Aug 17, 2016
hamilton canada
Hi guys,

I have an issue I would appreciate some assistance with.

I have a 34x16 IG SWG pool about 6 years old. All equipment is hayward.

When new the psi reading was around 9 - 12 depending on how dirty the cartridge filters were. Now even with filters removed the psi reads 13. With filter cartridges installed the psi shows 14-19psi. 14 when brand new up to 19 after a few days. The water tests and looks clear with no issues. I have installed new cartridges and have tried different pressure gauges with the same results. The return jets are supplying equal and sufficient pressure to operate the skimmer efficiently.

The hayward heat pump shows a P5 code for low pressure and will not run after the psi increases above 14.

I have checked the obvious causes of this situation. The skimmer and pump baskets are clean, the pump impeller is clear and there are no obvious leaks or lose fittings. The pump has some air bubbles in the viewing window which increases as pressure rises. There may be a small suction side air leak but I can't find it and I'm not sure that would cause the low pressure at the heat pump.

The pool shop is checking with hayward for any ideas.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Without cartridges, your psi should be much lower (3-4 psi). Can we assume your gauge is good? If so, about the only other restriction you can have is a blocked return. Are all your return ports open? Strong pressure from each?

I tried 3 different gauges to confirm psi.
I have 4 jets. all have good pressure and feel equal. Just in case I will remove all return port covers and double check individual pressures.
I'm off to work soon and won't be able to reply until late tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

Not true. Theres no real set number for what every filter should read as there too many variables BUT the psi should be about the same (within 1-2psi) with a clean or new cartridge vs no cartridge. This was in reply to what was said above "Without cartridges, your psi should be much lower (3-4 psi)." but the reply thing didn't work

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it is the pressure switch warning. That indicates low or no flow. Not really the case probably a seperate heater fault.

I had the pool shop out and had all o-rings changed. That fixed the bubbles in the filter for a couple of days. The psi rose 3 psi almost immediately after I cleaned the 2 wk old cartridges. Now bubbles are back. I cleaned any debris ( mainly pine needles and hair) from the front side of the impellor. Is it typical to disassemble the pump in order to clean debris from the back side? The only possible other source for a air leak is from the shutoff valve. Again, is that a typical possible problem area?

Thanks again guys. I'm off to work for a couple of weeks and would have liked to solve this for the family.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.