Will this lower my chlorine levels?

Jul 31, 2011
Galloway, NJ
The crappy pump went on our Summer Waves pool. Of course it was while we were away. Finally got a sand filter/pump set up the other day and had a green pool. Listened to a pool store guy's suggestion (I know, I know) of adding a certain amount of "shock." The green went away literally overnight.

But now I'm still way over-chlorinated. My TF100 should be here on Friday or Monday. I just got the water tested at my hardware store and here are my numbers.

FC: over 15.9 ppm
TC: over 15.9 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 0.0 ppm
pH: 7.3
Hardness: 15 ppm
Alkalinity with stabilizer correction: 50 ppm
CYA: 4ppm
No copper or iron

The hardware store employee gave me 2 bags of what she said would lower the chlorine. I just got home and looked at the bags (had a 2 year old tugging on me in the store, so I just grabbed them and left). It says pH-Acid Powder. Safely and effectively lowers pH. Active ingredient: sodium bisulfate 100%.

Is this the right thing? I don't want to add it and screw up the pH that seems to be OK by these numbers. But my pool barely gets any sun because we live in the woods, so this heat hasn't been helping the chlorine drop very quickly. It's been 2 days of being non-green and over-chlorinated.

That's dry acid and will lower your pH. Don't add anything right now, your chlorine will fall on it's own. Post your numbers when your test kit comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.