VS pump/2 spd pump pros+cons

If your goal is to run your pump at a specific SPEED (RPM), then VS is the way to go. If your goal is to run at a specific FLOW (GPM), then a VF pump is the way to go. I have both but the VF pump is my main pump and I have no complaints. What I like about the VF pump is that you program to flow at the gallons per minute you need and the pump will make sure that happens. To me, it's the best of both worlds - running at the lowest RPM necessary to achieve GPM desired saves on the electric bill and running at a higher RPM that is necessary to meet the GPM need while overcoming any issues that may hinder the flow rate needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can add one thing. I believe that if you are going from 1 speed motor the vs is a better choice but I don't know that I would go from 2 speed to vs unless I needed specific flow for something. You can figure out the power usage of the different pumps. Volts x amps gives watts.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the pump and motor I have now except for the power draw. I barely need to run my Swg to keep up with chlorine demand. It's just a large amount of leaves/pine needles and pollen/flowers from trees in yard. It's been pretty stormy here and I've been running my filter more.
Between my a/c unit(that's dying a slow death) and my pool pump, they crush me on my power bill.

I'm also looking at a robot (which is not tied to pump?) or some kind of suction side cleaner soon. The need for an automated cleaner first introduced me to the types of pumps. It appears to me, as a few have suggested that going from single speed to a Pentair Super Flo for example would be sensible. It leaves some wiggle room for a cleaner and enough power when reduced for the SWG. Sorry I have so many questions, I'm still learning about my pool and equipment. That and I'm not one for having latest and greatest, I don't mind spending for better though.
Thank you everyone, i believe a VS may be in my future. Hopefully this thread helps someone else with their decision making.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.