New Owner/Builder Pool - NorCal

djcagle

Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
Brentwood, CA
We are starting a new pool this fall/winter. Pool designer has been working the drawings for several weeks, but almost complete. My wife and I are going with the lagoon effect and want the pool to feel natural. The design is ~715 sf, ~160 perimeter feet, ~18,000 gal. Hope to pull permits in September. Any feedback is appreciated.

image.jpg

Very cool design. With that surface area but only 18,000 gallons, do you not have a deep end? Your design has a lot of enticing rocks to jump from and plenty of space, so I'd make sure there was a deep end somewhere. I would also want to make sure there was plenty of above-water lighting to illuminate the rocks and plants, and have those lights build into the design.

Great idea on the spa location. We have decided to use solar heat and natural gas heater to maintain temps to keep entire pool warm like a spa, but no plans to add spa at this point.

The pool depth ranges from 3.5' to 5.5'. I have been hesitant about a deep end.

As for fire features I plan on designing my landscape for future additions (pipe sleeves, etc.), but no longer in the budget for this go around. I have a 31" fire pit that is feed off a 800,000 btu gas meter that shoots fire higher than my fence, I hope this will satisfy be fire needs until funding becomes available for tiki torches or other features.

Can you take and share a picture of where the pool will be going?

That is an AWESOME design.

Are the stand alone arrows where the returns will be? Do I see a skimmer in the cove?

It looks like you have it covered with the lights!

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool design is 98% complete, just cleaning up a few details on the drawings. Before I send it to the structural engineer, I would appreciate any other suggestions/feedback from owners or builders in regards to this design.
- Niche vs. nicheless lights?
- Circulation on large shelf?
- Pool depth too shallow?
- Auto fill?
- Recommended rock that can withstand sitting in water?
- etc.

Thank you again

image.jpg
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

imagepng

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know if you have trouble viewing the design. I am Not sure how to get images to open to display in higher quality. Any ideas?

I'll add two comments, but first - awesome plan! I love it.
With any young kids in the pool, yours or others, there appears to be a significant blind spot for lifeguarding in the rock nook. If that visibility issue it correct, I'd have a tough time recommending the design - though fantastic.
On the niche vs nicheless, the nicheless are obviously smaller and therefore more nimble from a design and function standpoint, and you need more of them. Consequently, you are introducing more potential points of failure. They are also a newer product. The full-size LED lights are brighter, just as beautiful from a color perspective, you need fewer, etc. Regardless, with a pool of your sophistication, make sure you get the equipment required to allow you to take full advantage of the lights. By that I mean beyond selecting colors and shows, but control over dimming, motion shows and custom shows. With Hayward that means in addition to the automation system, one needs to add a ColorLogic Network Module. It's only a few hundred but not something to miss on your pool. All that said on lights, with the nicheless, since you'd have more, would look even better with the motion effect working (I.e. like running Christmas lights).
Best of luck with your build.
Be sure to stock up on plenty of POP (pool owner patience) for the process.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will be adding 1-2 cameras onto my camera system to cover this area. Hopefully that is sufficient to address the concern.

Do the hayward lights integrate with the Pentair automation system?

Pentair automation can control the Hayward's but it will be clumsy and light shows and colors won't coincide with what the automation is telling them to do. Have you looked into the Pentair Globrites?

With automation, you really have to stick to one brand for evening except filters and heaters.

Getting ready for the big dig. Permit was submitted 2 weeks ago and we removed existing trees, grass, and started grading. Hard to turn back now.

Dos anyone have contacts for rock work?

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 453
Excavation started yesterday and plan to be back to finish tomorrow. Finally underway after talking and planning for 7 months.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 402

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.