We bought a repossessed house in October of last year.
It came with a pool. We weren't sure what the condition was of the pool, but the house was only 4 years old.
The trustees for the bank (we guess?) had strung 2x4's across the pool to hold up a pool cover. They left the nails in the 2x4's and they poked multiple holes in the cover. Half the boards were floating. The cover was sinking.
The pool was an actual swamp, there were frogs, tadpoles, bugs, and other critters in the pool. The algae was really thick.
Our first step, since winter was approaching was to hire a pool-guy and make sure that the pool was winterized.
While he checked everything, I had him explain what everything was and what it did (it turns out that the stuff he told me was WRONG in a couple of instances, but I know it's hard to figure out a whole pool layout just from the pipes sticking out of the ground).
Then we ignored the pool for the next 5 months (winter).
During the month of March, while it was still cold, I uncovered the pool and this is what it looked like:
I bought a leaf rake, and scooped TWO TRASHBAGS full of leaves, dirt, debris, trash, dead frogs (4), etc out of the pool. That was my hobby for a couple of weeks, scooping stuff out of the pool.
We tried to contact the pool guy to help us open the pool, but his phone was disconnected and we couldn't find him.
As the weather started warming up, I figured I'd start trying to open the pool, I had discovered TFP back in October, and figured if I got stuck I could ask for advice here. I started putting the equipment back in service and dewinterizing things. The pump was disassembled. This scared me, but I found all the parts and everything looked to be in good shape, so using an exploded diagram from the internet, I put it all back together. It worked! -Continued in next post-