The rain effect

RussellC

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
Austin, TX
so I am still new to this. Have had my pool a month and this is the first time I have had significant rains. It's been raining non stop since Saturday. It's crazy how much dilution I have gotten. Is this normal? Here are my pre rain numbers:

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 80
CYA: 70
CH: 425
Salt: 3200

I have added a little extra bleach after the first heavy rain as it dropped my FC to 6. Keeping it above normal during the rain seemed like a good idea.

Tonight:

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 50
CH: 325
Salt: 2600

i haven't tested CYA because with no bright sun I am sure it would be inaccurate but I am assuming that's dropped pretty good too. Anyways. I'm adding calcium and salt and it will be fine but it is normal to have that much dilution? Just today we had between 2-4 inches. I did drain some as well.

Rain doesn't have nearly the effect many people think it does. So how much rain did you get?? You don't say.

So if your pool averages 50 inches deep and you got 2" rain, you diluted by 4%.....not enough to measure in most cases.

That big CH change is likely some testing error in there.

Run your pump all the time and then test when the rain stops.

I did. Just tested with rain stopped and pump on. We have had at least 2" a day since Saturday. Pool has overflowed too and I had to drain a couple inches. My SWG yelled at me about low salt so I am pretty sure my testing is correct. It's flooding down in Texas.

Your numbers show around a 20% difference, which is not impossible if you have replaced nearly ten inches of water. Assuming that then your CYA likely dropped ~15 ppm, so you will want to test that when the clouds clear.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

It's hard to tell how much I've lost. There is a small drain tube near the top of one of my skimmers where water leaves when it gets too high. It over flowed above that the first night but not since. It's just been slowly draining out of that tube. I guess it is what it is. I'll add more cya when these storms are finally over.

It's hard to tell how much I've lost. There is a small drain tube near the top of one of my skimmers where water leaves when it gets too high. It over flowed above that the first night but not since. It's just been slowly draining out of that tube. I guess it is what it is. I'll add more cya when these storms are finally over.

What matters is how much you have now so simply run the tests after all this flooding ends. Please add name of your kit to your signature for reference.

I've been on the edge of the same front that was draped through your region down in TX (my parents live west of San Antonio) and I've had my pool nearly overflow twice on me in the last 3 days. I've pumped off probably 6 inches because I don't have an overflow line. That'll definitely drop my TA, CH, CYA numbers. I haven't checked mine yet, but I expect all of my numbers to be diluted. But I'm actually happy about that.

I'm in hurt mode too. We've drained our pool in the last four times this month already.

I came home from work yesterday and the water was all the way to the top of the tiles. I drained for about 1.40 hours and got it to acceptable. So far haven't had much more than sprinkles. yay!

We just got another ton of rain again today! Ohh well, when the sun is shining bright again, I will add CYA and and CH and see where the TA is. I don't mind it at 50 cause the fill water is so high it will probably rise on its own.

so I am still new to this. Have had my pool a month and this is the first time I have had significant rains. It's been raining non stop since Saturday. It's crazy how much dilution I have gotten. Is this normal?

Over here on the west side of Houston, the constant rain has replaced about 10% of my pool water since Sunday afternoon, so I can imagine that you could have exchanged 25% of your water if you have been getting hit hard. My advice to you is "get used to it". Between March and May of this year, we had more total rainfall than the average depth of my pool. In May of last year, we got the equivalent of 50% of my pool in a 2-week period. 4 years ago, we had a really rainy July that threw my previous pool completely out of balance.

They key is to make sure you anticipate the big rain storms (i.e. not get surprised) and start thinking about how you're going to manage your water chemistry before the rain starts. I now keep at least 3 bags of salt, 2 gallons of acid, a few gallons of bleach, and enough calcium and CYA on-hand to handle nearly anything that mother nature can throw at us. With a salt pool, I don't normally use bleach...so the hard part is remembering to cycle my bleach stock so it doesn't get too old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the tip. I have been mainly managing chlorine and ph fine. I have added salt and calcium as well. I will wait on cya until this round of storms is gone. I did just order a bunch of cya and calcium and now have back up salt so I think I'll be set for the next time. Thanks again for the tips.

Over here on the west side of Houston, the constant rain has replaced about 10% of my pool water since Sunday afternoon, so I can imagine that you could have exchanged 25% of your water if you have been getting hit hard. My advice to you is "get used to it". Between March and May of this year, we had more total rainfall than the average depth of my pool. In May of last year, we got the equivalent of 50% of my pool in a 2-week period. 4 years ago, we had a really rainy July that threw my previous pool completely out of balance.

They key is to make sure you anticipate the big rain storms (i.e. not get surprised) and start thinking about how you're going to manage your water chemistry before the rain starts. I now keep at least 3 bags of salt, 2 gallons of acid, a few gallons of bleach, and enough calcium and CYA on-hand to handle nearly anything that mother nature can throw at us. With a salt pool, I don't normally use bleach...so the hard part is remembering to cycle my bleach stock so it doesn't get too old.

This spring was redonkulous.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.