6K gallon in ground pool. Which pump is best to save money on electric & work great?

Jun 12, 2014
KISSIMMEE
6K gallon in ground pool. Which pump is best to save money on electric & work great?

Hello everyone! Thank you for this GREAT forum I just found. I'm a new pool owner and bought a house that already had a 6K gallon inground pool installed. Noticed our electric bill is about 230 a month and looking to see if maybe we switched to better pump will drop down the cost.

Currently have the Pentair 340038 SuperFlo High Performance Single Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 115/230 Volt, 1 Phase, with Sta-Rite System 3 Filtration and only run the pump on for about 4 hours a day here in Florida.

I been reading about ecopumps how they can save you great costs but not sure if that would help much. Should I stay with my current setup or purchase a new pump? If ecopump is not needed could you kindly recommend a pump for me

Re: 6K gallon in ground pool. Which pump is best to save money on electric & work gre

Helli, congratulations on your purchase. The best pumps I've worked with are intelliflo vs pumps. As these are variable in speeds. For your set up it would be best to replace the current one with a superflo VS. it is the smart brother of what you have now and would be a easy replacement for you, no replumbing needed, however you might want to test the current pump's energy consumption to ensure you will reap the benefits from having a smart pump

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Re: 6K gallon in ground pool. Which pump is best to save money on electric & work gre

Using our techniques - ie. proper FC to CYA ratio - your pool can do with much less circulation than a conventionally run pool.

Your 1 HP pump probably draws somewhere between 1.5k and 2k watts - at 4 hours a day you are looking at 8kw hours per day. (roughly)

With a VS Pump you could probably run it at 250watts for 8 hours a day - 2kw hours per day (again - super rough estimate)

I think it's safe to say that max you save is 6kw hours per day. At 12c per kwh that's about $250 per year savings (again - rough estimate :)

Thank you for all your responses. Looks like VS is the way to go! Do you guys have a brand recommend? I read on these forums Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 is pretty good? Or should I go with ecopump?

The Superflo vs is ideal for current your system configuration. It's a simple direct upgrade to the smart pump utilizing existing plumbing

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! went with Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower, 115/208-230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified

Another option that doesn't require as much money up front but can save you almost as much in energy costs is a new two speed motor. Depending on your energy costs, this could have a lower lifetime cost (upfront + energy) than a VS would.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.