Which pump should I use?

Jul 14, 2016
Sacramento, CA
Hello

First let me say thank you for this forum. I have successfully avoided the pool store, saved money, and have a nice clear blue pool since I followed your advice.

I have two pumps that are both less than a year old. The first is a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP. The second is a Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 1/2 HP. I recently switched from a sand filter to cartridge. I am currently running the 1 1/2 HP motor. I was wondering if I should switch over to the 3/4 since I have changed the filter. I read somewhere that a cartridge filter is better with a low HP pump. Also maybe I can save some $ on the electric bill.
The pool is 15,000 gallons. The filter is 400 sf. The pipes are about 25 ft total. I know the 3/4 will use less electricity but is it also true that the vacuum (Hayward Diver Dan) will run slower? I want the best set up, not "save money at all cost".

Also, how many times should I turn the water over per day. I am going to install a timer next. I was running the pump 24/7 to clean it up.

Thanks for the help!
Jack

Welcome to the forum!

All filters generally do better with lower flow rates (lower HP) so the Matrix is fine to use. And yes, the flow rate will be lower so the vacuum will be slower unless you have a bypass for the cleaner than you can adjust.

As for turnover, it just doesn't matter. The most important thing is to get chlorine in the pool each day and have it distributed which should take less than an hour. Beyond that, run time is purely optional and mostly to remove debris from the surface of the pool (skimming) and the bottom (cleaner).

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.