Need your opinion on our pool specs!

maa3

May 10, 2009
Durham NC
I was hoping to get your comments on the pool specs/equipment we are thinking about:
~587 sq foot inground gunite pool (I will try to post the design later but it’s like a roman that zig zags once around the existing patio with the spa on the other end)
40’ long (7' for the half circle tanning shelf)
16’ wide for the most part (20 wide over a small section)
Depth 3’ 3" to 8"
Swimouts in the deep end located on either side of attached spa
On the sunshelf we were planning to have 6" of water & an umbrella sleeve. Do you think we should we go to 8"? Reason for 6" was my husband thinks we’ll want to lay it without a chair/float – we also have a little dog that won’t go in if the water is above his knees. Plus I want it to be a good depth for babies to sit in – when we have them – soon hopefully :)

Attached 8’ round spa raised 18" with spillover - 6 jets and 4 drains (I think the PB follows commercial guidelines)

Mostly Pentair equipment:

Pump: Intelliflow variable speed VF (not sure if it alone can handle pool/spa w/spillover & another water feature)

Filter: Cartridge Clear & Clear Plus 520 (shared by pool and spa)

Polaris 280 w/ booster pump (do I need to ask for a timer for this?)

Salt Chlorinator: Intellichlor 40k (builder normally does aqua-rite but I asked for it). Should we also do a Rainbow inline chlorinator just in case something ever happens with the salt system? Not sure if that’s something I have to request.

Heater 400k btu sta-rite (Builder likes better than Mastertemp) - shared between pool and spa
2 led pool lights (Pentair) – I am waiting to hear if it’s the intellibrite or not

Plaster: Sunstone Pearl Black Pearl/Crystalstones Midnight Blue/Crystalstones Smooth Bay Harbour – still trying to decide. I am looking for a deep blue/gray water color although not blackish. Anyone have pictures?

For the pool:
2 Commercial skimmers (U-3)
2 Main drains (12" x 12") VGB Compliance
6 Returns - Wall adjustable (eyeball)
1 Hydrostatic Relief Valve with 8" frame grate

Add ons:
Time clock with freeze control $250
Levelor Auto Fill $400
Pop up fountain in the spa or tanning shelf $850 or 4 mini deck jets $800 – probably have to pick one. (Builder does not like bubblers on tanning shelves – he says they stick out and you can’t use lounge chairs)
Intellichlor 40K buddled with 4 circuit easy touch control panel $ 2,500 (not sure if he subtracted the cost of the Intellichlor that’s already included in his price)
One indoor four (4) circuit control panel $ 450
One four (4) circuit wireless remote $800

I think we can afford everything except the Easytouch. There seems to be a much bigger markup on automation than anything else. I only asked about it because I saw it online bundled with the Intellichlor for like $1400-1500.

If we bought it ourselves online how much do you think it would cost to get it installed? Can we add it after the pool is done? Do you recommend the wall control panel or the wireless remote or both?

Also I heard that the Easy touch is really like a panel with 4 circuits but we are already adding an electrical subpanel to handle the pool and other things we’ll be doing inside the house.

Please let me know your thoughts!
I am supposed to meet with the PB today or tommorow to iron out everything.
Thanks is advance!

maa3 said:
On the sunshelf we were planning to have 6" of water & an umbrella sleeve. Do you think we should we go to 8"? Reason for 6" was my husband thinks we’ll want to lay it without a chair/float – we also have a little dog that won’t go in if the water is above his knees. Plus I want it to be a good depth for babies to sit in – when we have them – soon hopefully :)

I'd probably stick with 6" just because the shallower water will stay warmer (you won't notice as much of a difference from the top to the bottom).

Pump: Intelliflow variable speed VF (not sure if it alone can handle pool/spa w/spillover & another water feature)

Filter: Cartridge Clear & Clear Plus 520 (shared by pool and spa)

Polaris 280 w/ booster pump (do I need to ask for a timer for this?)

Salt Chlorinator: Intellichlor 40k (builder normally does aqua-rite but I asked for it). Should we also do a Rainbow inline chlorinator just in case something ever happens with the salt system? Not sure if that’s something I have to request.

Heater 400k btu sta-rite (Builder likes better than Mastertemp) - shared between pool and spa
2 led pool lights (Pentair) – I am waiting to hear if it’s the intellibrite or not

The Mastertemp and Maxtherm are the exact same heater with different outside panels. The only difference is that the Pentair is square and tan, the Sta-Rite is black and egg-shaped. The Mastertemp will look better with the other equipment but functionally there's no difference.

The Intelliflo can probably handle the pool/spa combo with a small spillover, but I don't know about an extra feature. You may want to ask him to leave room on the pad and in the plumbing for an extra pump just in case.

Don't worry about the in-line chlorinator. You can always buy a cheap-o floater while your cell is being replaced if you need to. Not worth the extra $100 since all it will give you is another potential leak in the plumbing.

The Intelliflo will need 24 hour power, the single timer will control the booster pump for the cleaner.

Add ons:
Time clock with freeze control $250
Levelor Auto Fill $400
Pop up fountain in the spa or tanning shelf $850 or 4 mini deck jets $800 – probably have to pick one. (Builder does not like bubblers on tanning shelves – he says they stick out and you can’t use lounge chairs)
Intellichlor 40K buddled with 4 circuit easy touch control panel $ 2,500 (not sure if he subtracted the cost of the Intellichlor that’s already included in his price)
One indoor four (4) circuit control panel $ 450
One four (4) circuit wireless remote $800

I think we can afford everything except the Easytouch. There seems to be a much bigger markup on automation than anything else. I only asked about it because I saw it online bundled with the Intellichlor for like $1400-1500.

If we bought it ourselves online how much do you think it would cost to get it installed? Can we add it after the pool is done? Do you recommend the wall control panel or the wireless remote or both?

Also I heard that the Easy touch is really like a panel with 4 circuits but we are already adding an electrical subpanel to handle the pool and other things we’ll be doing inside the house.

You won't need freeze control on the time clock since the Intelliflo needs 24 hour power anyway. However, without the easy touch you'll need to program the Intelliflo to run when you know there'll be freezing weather.

There are a lot of arguments to go ahead with the Easy Touch. Installing it after the fact will mean a lot of redundant electrical work. It communicates with all your equipment which means freeze protection for the pump and better control of the Intellichlor which only operates in 20% intervals in standalone mode. The price he quoted is high. The price you saw is basically the wholesale cost. If he'll meet you halfway I'd go for it. You won't save any money buying it yourself later because of the extra costs and he probably won't install it if you buy it, but you could always ask.

I'd get the wall control for it. If you decide you want the wireless remote later you can add that yourself without any difficulty, and you'll probably save a few bucks.

I'm agnostic on the Levelor. With the cartridge filter you won't be losing much water so I'd be content to fill with the hose as needed.

Mini Deck Jets are neat. The pop-up fountain I'm not sure about. I'm hesitant to recommend anything mechanical like that. The Deck Jets are nice and simple.

If you get the Easy Touch 8 you'll have 8 breaker positions which may be enough to completely replace the other subpanel, but you'll probably want room for expansion later so don't max out all at once. If you need 7-8 positions already go ahead and add the subpanel.

Before posting earlier I should have said that although I have been reading/lurking for a few weeks now I am new to posting on this forum.
I am so gratefull for all the information shared!

I am going to try and post some pics of the pool/spa layout the way it looks in the yard.

We first tried using the garden hose to make the shape but could't see it so well so I actually used some white string. Now I have to fix it all the time because of the dog running around and the cat trying to play with the string :).
I am sure the PB will come and spray it but we couldn't wait to see the shape down.

I would appreciate any thoughts!
2422363360074089619nhYQPB_ph.jpg

2047425010074089619LZpKji_ph.jpg

2484151540074089619sydOZD_ph.jpg

Just a few additional hints and comments:

"The Intelliflo can probably handle the pool/spa combo with a small spillover, but I don't know about an extra feature. You may want to ask him to leave room on the pad and in the plumbing for an extra pump just in case."

Since the Intelliflow can produce up to 3hp, it should cover your needs, and might even preculde the need for a cleaner booster pump. If you want automation, I'm a fan for sure, and with that, you won't need any additional timers for $250, and freeze protection is part of the automation menu. As for your lighting, Pentair's LED is the Intellibright. The SAm and SAl lights are not LED's. I likewise think you should go with the wired inside control panel, unless you think you will use the wireless a lot. Since, if you go with an Easy Touch, you can program when the pool is on, when the cleaner is on, when the spillover is on, and when the lights are on, plus you can manually override by pushing a button, wireless may not be needed.

Otherwise, excellent choices!

Budster thanks so much for you input! It was so hard to come to a descision about everything. It's good to know I've made good choices so far.

I will check with the PB about the cleaner booster pump. It would be great if we don't need it.
Thanks for clarifing that about the intellibrite. The PB said he was including the white led but he is going to check about the difference in doing the colored intellibrite.

I am also going to talk with him about the Easytouch again. I had asked him to price the model of the Easytouch that comes bundled with the intellichlor 40k but he has already included the intellichlor in his total estimate price so I have to see whether he's willing to subtract that from the $2500.

I have the easy touch and remote. I would recommend the remote but not the wall mount. The remote is nice because you can use it anywhere. The prices he is quoting for the automation sounds a bit high to me. I know my PB was high also so I bought the IC-40 on the internet and saved a ton of money. The PB even installed it for free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.