Stains algae and/or metal?

Aug 14, 2016
Edgewater, Florida
We've got quite some stains in our pool, trying to get them out. We've used vitamin C to see if it would lessen, it did. Than we used stain free, but that only helped a bit.
We don't know if it's algae, musterd algae or 'just' metal stains.
Please help!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Vitamin C should have an effect if it's a metal-related stain. If it's organic, such as algae, then you can test with a trichlor tablet. If that works better it could very-well be algae in which case you would want to "SLAM", or at least perform an overnight (OCLT) test to see if you need to SLAM. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) Since you have well water that probably contains metal (iron), a higher FC (SLAM) level could cause the metal to precipitate out and try to change the color of the water or introduce more stains. You'll want to watch that closely.

You might also want to post a full set of water test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to help us determine if there are any other issue happening. If you don't have one of those, it should be a priority to help you manage the water accurately. Nice to have you with us.

I shocked the pool with chlorine yesterday.
FC 0,2
PH 7,4
TA 190
That's all I can test right now.
I know we had algae, I could brush then off. The seem to be gone right now, but since the FC level is way to low (I can't seem to get it up) I can not do the overnight test (I guess)
The water slightly irritates the skin. Is that because of the high TA?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Texas Splash has you covered in post #2. You need a good test kit, without that you are flying blind.

Also, no, high TA is not irritating your skin.

The stain free contains citric acid/ascorbic acid and will fight your FC. You need to add chlorine until it holds and check back every few hours to avoid getting too low.

I take it you don't have one of the recommended kits. Get yourself a tft100 or Taylor k2006 (TFTestkits.net) and then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to determine if you have organics or not.

You do not want to shock unless you have to when dealing with metals, but you do need to very accurately read your water parameters with one of the recommended kits if you want to control metals/treatments the TFP way. If you can post back OCLT results, I can assist you further ;)

Have a read through pool school and the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] to familiarize yourself a bit...don't want to overload you with info until you're up to speed.

One more top...metals stay in solution better at about 7.2 ph.

Cheers, and welcome to TFP!

Thank you.
Since the FC level is so low I had my swg run most of the night. Yesterday evening FC was 0,6 this morning it was 0,2.
I figure I have to get it up before I can run the OCLT.
Cya was tested last week in store and was 60. Ph was to high (about 8) so we added muriatic acid.
I allready ordered a more extensive kit, it'll arrive tomorrow.

78a51a934a1845dd9c367473017d3a42.jpg
2367df39588b39f357aefecf0150a315.jpg

Here are some pics of the stains (finally figured out how to do add them [emoji5])

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"Need" isn't the right word. You have some FC in there now, which is good to slow the progress of the algae. More won't hurt, at worst it's wasteful.

One of the criteria of if it is safe to swim is that your FC is above the minimum and below the SLAM for your CYA which we don't know. (others being water clear to the bottom and pH in the 7s)

That being said, it is probably ok to get in the water.

FC 4
CC 0.5
TA 210
PH 7,5/7,8 (in between)
CH 275
Temp. 92
Salt 3100 100%
CYA uhm. Well. When the tube was completely filled the black dot, kinda sorta, disappeared. Which means that there's way to little of it.
I know I have to add stabilizer. Does the liquid stabilizer work faster than the solid (granulate) one?
Btw thanks to you guys the water is crystal clear and the algae is, kind of, gone.
Tonight the pool get filled up again so I'll probably run an OCLT tomorrow night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.