Its me again, and i need help

teppy

Nov 11, 2007
Louisiana
hi guys,
i am a pain, i know. i am preparing for my SWG. yesterday, i checked all my numbers. my cya was between 50-60. i tested with the colorQ photometer and TF-100 to make sure. I added three cups of stablizer following the pool calculator. (target-70, now-60 16900 gallon plaster using TFP and bleach input selections).

i know that CYA can take awhile to dissolve, but just now this am, it was all dissolved and I took a test sample. i used the colorQ test and it has not changed at all. I am still getting a 58 reading on cya. the only major difference would be the temp. yesterday afternoon the water was at 87 degrees. this morning and i wanted to have my CYA correct.

That amount of CYA will raise your CYA level by about 10 once it is fully dissolved. Since the CYA test in the TF100 is +-15, and the CYA test in the ColorQ is +-25 (when it is working) it will be very difficult to verify that small an increase by testing.

I would add another 15 ppm of CYA, targeting a level of 80, and call it good.

thanks jason. so, if i input target at 80 and right now at 58, that tells me to add 3lbs. 2 oz. i didn't add that much to begin with. is this right? i just want to double check so not to add too much.

JasonLion said:
That amount of CYA will raise your CYA level by about 10 once it is fully dissolved. Since the CYA test in the TF100 is +-15, and the CYA test in the ColorQ is +-25 (when it is working) it will be very difficult to verify that small an increase by testing.

I would add another 15 ppm of CYA, targeting a level of 80, and call it good.

There are various ways to estimate your current level. I would not start from the ColorQ reading. Instead, I would take your TF100 reading of between 50 and 60 from before you raised it by 10. So it should now be between 60 and 70, so add enough to raise from 65 to 80. The change is small, the exact amount isn't critical, so your way will also work.

thanks once again jason. i will do that. i know that the tf-100 kit is very accurate. i like my color q too though. i have been using it for about a year now. i will do both tests sometimes to compare when i need to be sure. the color q and the tf-100 were really the same for the cya. the tf-100 reported 50-60 and the color q gave me a reading of 57. to me that is the same. as a matter of fact all of test results were very close if not exact except for the alkalinity. i never depend on the color q for alk. its always too low. but, TC, Ph, CH, and CYA are just about right on between the two test kits.

teppy said:
as a matter of fact all of test results were very close if not exact except for the alkalinity. i never depend on the color q for alk. its always too low.
Limintation of this test. The higher your FC the lower this test will read once your FC hits about 3 ppm or above.

this is just for the alkalinity reading, right?

waterbear said:
teppy said:
as a matter of fact all of test results were very close if not exact except for the alkalinity. i never depend on the color q for alk. its always too low.
Limintation of this test. The higher your FC the lower this test will read once your FC hits about 3 ppm or above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.