Convince me when I should be running my Stenner.

CaptainCannonball

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 18, 2016
Woodland, Ca
So currently I run my full dose at the end of the day because I am of the mindset that the sun is off of the pool by then and I would have full strength dose for the night. Then through the day, the FC is burned off by the sun with enoughresidual to last until the nightly dose. (Cl coasts down to 3-3.5)

Here is the rest of the info:
Solar and pump runs 10am to 6:30pm for now
Dose ends at 6pm
Our primary swim time has shifted to 5:30-8:00pm
Dosing time is about 23-28 minutes to add about 2ppm and bring pool to 5-5.5 ppm Cl
We have very good circulation, so I'm guessing the Cl disperses fast.

I was considering running the pump later and turning the solar off, say until 9pm then ending the dose around 8:30

The other option I was considering was a morning/noon/end of day dosing schedule. (Or even hourly small dose)

I am looking for additional pros and cons of these dosing schedules or any other options I'm not considering. Thanks!

From my experience it does not matter when or how many times you does. However I have found I don't like to dose when we are swimming, I too have good circulation but I swear I smell chloramine on my skin if I am in the pool while it's dosing (could be all in my head). For this reason I does twice once around 9:00PM and again around 11:00 AM both are times we are unlikely to be in the pool. The 9:00PM does is the bulk of the chlorine add aprox 75% of what I use and I never adjust the amount for that does. If I need more or less FC I adjust the 11:00 AM does up or down.

I have the 3 gpd Stenner. The filter pump runs from 9am - noon & 6pm -9pm.
The Stenner runs from 10:30 -11:00 in the morning & 7:00 - 8:00 in the evening.
As others have said I don't think it makes much difference but I also like having the major part of the dosing in the evening.

It sounds like you have it figured out. I will say that since my Stenner is on a new digital timer, and the pool pump is still on an old mechanical timer, I schedule the chlorine injections to be 3 hours inside the filter pump on/off times to account for any timer drift and short power outages.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.