Just fired pool service and turned off the chlorinator

jeffnsheila

Bronze Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
Friendswood Texas
Good morning, as the title says we just decided to turn off the 3" puck chlorinator and fire the pool service. We are about 2 months in with water in the pool and my CYA is @ about 65. Luckily we are getting rain all this week so I have already had to drain and 4 or 5 inches worth of water this week. We started the process of just using liquid chlorine in the last few days and I realize there will be a learning curve. I see people using smaller doses or Chlorine to raise the FC level in their pool. It seems that it is taking more for me to get the FC up where it needs to be. Sunday I added 60 oz and it only brought me up about 1ppm. So Last night I was @ 4.5 FC then I added 90 oz. and it brought it to 7 where it should be. Does this have to do with something in the pucks we have been using? or if we had a bunch of people in the pool sunday? I think once we get the FC up to where it needs to be it should be easier to maintain it there. It just seems I am using more than most. The calculator says to get from 4.5 to 7 I need 58oz of 10% liquid. Here are my numbers from last night after 90. oz of 10% bleach. The bleach from Leslies was inside and the production numbers were recent so I dont think it was old.

FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.4-7.5 (was too close to call)
TA 60
CH 280
CYA 65

Thanks
Jeff

Good morning, as the title says we just decided to turn off the 3" puck chlorinator and fire the pool service. We are about 2 months in with water in the pool and my CYA is @ about 65. Luckily we are getting rain all this week so I have already had to drain and 4 or 5 inches worth of water this week. We started the process of just using liquid chlorine in the last few days and I realize there will be a learning curve. I see people using smaller doses or Chlorine to raise the FC level in their pool. It seems that it is taking more for me to get the FC up where it needs to be. Sunday I added 60 oz and it only brought me up about 1ppm. So Last night I was @ 4.5 FC then I added 90 oz. and it brought it to 7 where it should be. Does this have to do with something in the pucks we have been using? or if we had a bunch of people in the pool sunday? I think once we get the FC up to where it needs to be it should be easier to maintain it there. It just seems I am using more than most. The calculator says to get from 4.5 to 7 I need 58oz of 10% liquid. Here are my numbers from last night after 90. oz of 10% bleach. The bleach from Leslies was inside and the production numbers were recent so I dont think it was old.

FC 7
CC 0
PH 7.4-7.5 (was too close to call)
TA 60
CH 280
CYA 65

Thanks
Jeff
Do you own a FAS/DPD chlorine test? Do an OCLT to see if something besides sun and bather load is consuming your FC.

If you had a bunch of people in the pool, that can certainly cause a higher than normal burn off. It's also possible that your pool has more water in it than you think. :)

Have you performed an overnight chlorine loss test to make sure something isn't growing in the water?

It's your call, but all that the rain will do is get you wet. Rain water has virtually no effect on your testing / dosing.

It would probably take a foot of rain to effect your 17K gallon pool.

Jeff,

I live in the in the DFW area and have a similar size pool. This time of year, my pool uses about 4 ppm per day.

60 oz of 10% should have brought the FC up about 4.5 or so.

So, just to make sure you are starting out on the right foot, I suggest you do an overnight test to make sure nothing is growing in your pool.

Overnight FC Loss
Overnight FC Loss Test

If the OCLT passes, then the only way adding 60 oz of Chlorine and only seeing an increase of 1 ppm, is that the chlorine is not actually 10%. I assume you added the 60 oz and then tested an hour later, not 8 hours later..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I let the pump run for about an hour or so and retested. I will try the overnight test tonight and see where we end up. I guess I will also buy my bleach somewhere else and see how that works. I figured if I test this evening and we get a couple inches of rain in the pool overnight, that would change the true results of the test. Thanks for the info !!

Good morning, OK so I tested last night @ 7:00 pm and I was at 5.5 FC and this morning @ 7:00 am I was at 5 FC. So I only lost .5 FC overnight. It was a cool overcast evening. That being said do we think that the strength of the bleach I am using is not 10% anymore and that is why it is taking so much to raise my FC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I questioned the PB early on about that. He said that their software tells them how many gallons it is. I put 17k for easy numbers in the signature but it is around 17,600 something. It is free form and goes from 3 1/2 to 6' deep . Oh Well I will just keep fooling with it until I get it right. the bottle says 10% on it but it may not have been 10% by the time I bought it . Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.