What kind of shop vac to blow out lines?

Jul 13, 2015
Independence, KY
How powerful of a shop vac do I need to get to blow out lines when closing? We used my dad's last year and it didn't get the bottom drain all the way out. Never saw air bubbles coming out. My husband said it's fine because we blew them a long time but I worried all winter about it. It was fine but I want to make sure we get all the water out. I have no idea what kind to buy.

Compressor for me as well. I can blow out everything but the main drain with my shop vac. Main drains require pressure and some air volume to blow out. Shop vacs are good at air volume, but not when under pressure (resistance). Compressors are great at building pressure, but not so much on volume. The cyclone blowers designed for winterizing pools and installing liners are a good blend of both pressure and air volume.

The standard 3/8" air hose usually will screw right into one of the pump basket drain holes. Just remove one plug, thread the hose in then connect house to the compressor. Set the compressor regulator to 15 psi to start then increase as you need to to blow main drain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you wish to get a little creative and do not have a budget, you may consider purchasing a Cyclone Pool Blower and creating a modified cover with an adapter. Total cost is around $425-$450 (if you have a Hayward Super Pump). I will send you the links later as to what I have done, and it will provide you all the part #'s, etc. and where you can purchase everything. If not, the pancake compressors appear to do a really good job.

From where were you planning on blowing air through?

I'll second the reply from Catanzaro. Years ago I bought the biggest baddest shop vac I could find (since I needed a shop vac at the time). It produced one bubble from my bottom drain after several minutes of blowing. Then I rented smaller air compressors from a rental place for several years ... never got around to buying one. Then my neighbor bought a Cyclone Liner Vac. They produce LOTS of air volume but not a lot of pressure (kind of the opposite of an air compressor). But let me tell you, it REALLY blows out the lines ... lots more bubbles and air coming out compared to an air compressor (especially when the compressor air tank runs out of air and you're just blowing on the produced air). Only downside is it cost around $325 on the internet (bought my own a couple years ago). So while an air compressor does OK, I just love the Cyclone Liner Vac. I disconnect my equipment (have unions on everything) and I use my pool vacuum hose connected to the liner vac to blow out the lines.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.