I Fear I May Lose the Battle!

Nov 16, 2015
Oceanside, CA
Looking for a bit of guidance and I'm at a loss. I have a 24,000 gal Pebble Tec in-ground pool with all Pentair equipment (cartridge filter, heater, and pumps) and an Intellichlor salt system. The pool has given me almost no problems in the 9 years since I bought the house.

While away for 2 weeks vacation in July my Hayward pool vac apparently decided to stop working due to a vacuum problem and since my dogs were away with the family, a pair of ducks from a nearby pond decided to set up housekeeping in my pool.

I returned to a very green pool with all kinds of "yucky stuff" at the bottom of the deep end that has resisted all my attempts to clean and restore it to its previously clear beauty. The pool vac continues to not work due to a intermittent and severe reduction in suction from the filter.

I've spent hours brushing the sides and bottom and I've superclorinated and shocked the pool over and over and have changed and cleaned the filter cartridges so many times I can do it in my sleep. My chemistry numbers look OK with pH and alkalinity where they should be, free chlorine around 5. My CA level was low so I've dosed the pool twice with conditioner although it still tests out a bit low.

I don't know how to clean out the crud at the bottom of the pool since I don't have adequate suction and brushing and running the filter doesn't seem to make a dent. Unfortunately our local pool repair folks are overworked and appointments are hard to get and scheduled far in the future.

I'll take any suggestions I can get.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Getting the crud off the bottom should very high priority... If you give the algae a place to live, you can slam until you are blue in the face... Clean the slate for the best results...
Leaf vacuum, brush, get in and scoop it out... what ever you need to do

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.