Sock filter in skimmer basket, use or not?

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
We have received advice from our PB to use the sock in the skimmer basket, and then we were told by the pool supply store worker not to, as it increases pressure on the system. Can someone give me the scoop on this. Thanks a ton.

I use skimmer socks in mine. Rinse it out with a hose when it gets dirty. When the pollen is flying I do this twice a day. Its amazing how much stuff they catch. Keeps it from entering filter, longer time between backwashs for me. Knee high stockings work also.

DaveNJ said:
I use skimmer socks in mine. Rinse it out with a hose when it gets dirty. When the pollen is flying I do this twice a day. Its amazing how much stuff they catch. Keeps it from entering filter, longer time between backwashs for me. Knee high stockings work also.

What he said. :goodjob:

jonmar said:
...advice from our PB to use the sock in the skimmer basket...told by the pool supply store worker not to, as it increases pressure on the system...
Use either skimmer socks or ladies knee-high stockings. Both work, the skimmer socks probably catch slightly more gunk (but not much more), the knee-high's are cheaper: you just pitch them rather than washing them. 8)

Increases the pressure on what? The skimmer is on the suction side of the pool. Unless it's your only supply back to the pump AND it clogs the skimmer there shouldn't be a problem... Just check it when you check the water levels!

I have found a significant difference between the amount of gunk caught by knee highs and skimmer socks. Simmer socks do a MUCH better job, IMHO, expecially during pollen season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.