Should I buy?

Redmoo

Aug 15, 2016
ma
Hi there,

Had a quick read through the threads, but cant see anyone that has posted this before.

We are in the early stages of buying a hot tub. Decided against the unknown brands and going for either a D1 or Hot Springs. Wet testing tomorrow!

The D1 dealer has a 'cracked' hot tub for sale. There is a approx 1.5 inch crack on the outside of the shell. They are going to drill the hole, but I will have to repair it. They say that the tub will still be covered by warranty etc etc.

They are knocking about $4k off the price (D1 wayfair for $4 delivered).

Thoughts? Should I avoid like the plague or are repairs very strong?

This is in New England, so we can get cold winters. I do not care about aesthetics as the tub will be against a wall, and therefore the repair will not be visible.

Thanks in advance!

It may be a deal, if they stand behind their repair, most of the time a shell crack is the one thing that can't be economically repaired on a hot tub. Personally I would try to talk them down more on the price as this discounted price is likely near dealer cost, keep in mind hot tubs depreciate worse than just about anything, therefore with a bit of shopping it is often possible to find a pristine 1-2 year old hot tubs for 50% of new price, and 75% of new price on tubs that are 4-5 years old. There are also dealers that refurbish tubs (often installing all new pumps, heaters, etc.) and sell them for 50-75% off new cost, which is sort of what you would be buying here, just this years model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.