Jandy PDA not controlling Raypak heater

damb

Jun 10, 2014
toronto,on
My new Pda system isn't controlling my new Raypak heater. It seam I have done everything correct. Connected the wires to the Jandy board in the correct spots and put the heater up to full but the pad doesn't control the heater. Do I need to use a relay for the heater?

Make sure you set the heater temp at the heater to the highest temperature otherwise the controller will shut off at whatever that is set at. Ran into that issue when I put in my new Raypak on my Aqualink RS8 controller. Just something to check.

I know this sounds tedious but it must be followed, otherwise, your setup may not work.

IMO, probably the ONLY thing wrong with a Raypak heater is this "secret handshake" to set up the remote!

Turn on heater on, and run both thermostats up to 104.
IMPORTANT, using the mode button, turn the heater to off, THEN remove power from the heater.
Disconnect the 7 pin remote harness from the board. Yep, this too is important!
On the 7 pin remote harness, connect one of the heater control wires (COMM) to the blue wire. Connect the other to EITHER the blk w/org OR org w/blk wire.
Reinstall the 7 pin plug onto the board.
Power up the heater.
Place the heater into Remote mode (press and hold both up and down arrow buttons for 3-5 seconds).

If there is still no function, confirm that the Jandy PDA is displaying the correct water temp. Bad temp sensors will either display an "open" condition, or a temp that is unlikely, like 127 degrees. In which case will never tell the heater to come on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's what i would call something you have to refer to the owners manual to figure out how the white jackets want you to do it.

Reminds me of when i used to give in-docs on pool equipment. When i see the owners eyes begin to glaze over, i suggest putting the manual in the bathroom for "incremental studying"...

You've never heard of a secret handshake?
How about the high sign?
Or a particular knock on the door to gain access?

Yes I've heard of it from a previous 20+ year stretch I did in another field of work. I just never heard it from any of the old timers I've dealt with in this industry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.