Considering converting

Jun 3, 2009
I'm considering converting to chlorine from Baquacil. I have a few questions first. Unfortunately, my husband's hours have been cut at work, so I don't have any extra money for much. I have an above ground pool, it's about 9800 gallons. How much bleach do you suggest I start with? Is there any way we can do the conversion without an expensive testing kit? I'd like to switch over if possible for less then $100. If we can't switch for less than that, I'll probably have to wait until next year. Seeing as we're in Michigan, the pool is only open for 3-4 months. Also, what is the best way to start the conversion? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

There isn't any way to give you an exact number, it depends on too many things. I would expect it to cost around $100, but can't say for sure that it will be under that.

How much do you spend on baquacil chemicals in a season? Once you have switched to BBB, your total cost for the season could be around $50 if you are just a little careful and thus avoid getting algae. I suspect that using baquacil for a season will be way over $150.

Do I have to have an expensive testing kit to convert? Is there a cheaper alternative I can use until our finances are better? Unfortunately, the testing kit puts me way over the limit I have. It would be a great time otherwise for me to convert the pool. The weather is supposed to be chilly the next few days. About how long does the conversion take?
Thanks

Yes, you kinda do. Specifically - the FAS-DPD test for FC, it can test up to 50ppm and is very simple and precise. With the other FC tests, you can't test that high, and you need to be able to test up to 15 when doing a conversion, and you need to know if the FC holds overnight for a complete conversion, and the other tests aren't precise enough to tell you that.

So if you don't convert, will you not run the pool? Won't the Baq products cost more than the kit?

The baquacil would be about 125 for the rest of the summer, which I can purchase as needed, not all at once. The test kit would be 70, the sand would be another 35, and bleach is 1.29 a bottle at Aldi's.

I say "DO IT"

My pool is a 27' AGP with about 17,000 gallons. Last year I spent over $700 on chemicals trying to get it right. Even with those $, I still could not get the h20 clear. Also, after doing research, I have serious questions as to whether BQ really adequately sanitizes a pool.

I started by replacing about 1/3 of my water. This made the conversion go faster and cheaper I believe. You should ask the experts on here about the water replacement. It may boil down to cost or whether or not you are on well etc.

So far, I've used about 40 gal of 6% bleach averaging $1.69/gal.= $67
I bought CYA 10lbs for $17.
baking soda from BJ's wholesale $4.69 for 12lbs.
Wife already uses Borax in laundry.

I'm almost done the conversion, so I figure I'll shock a few more times. After that, I don't think It'll cost me more than $50-$75 for the rest of the season. This year will also include the $58 for the tf100 test kit, and $30 donation to maintain this website. (I think everyone who partakes of the site's intellectual property should consider donating) :whoot: And the water is already clearer than I've seen in years! The degradation was so gradual w/ BQ that I did not realize how hazy my water's been! :whoot:

If you replace some water and don't add any other BQ chems., your conversion will be less costly (compare your pool volume to mine-17,500gal) and well worth it.

Good luck with your conversion! :wave:

I'm really close to being done with my conversion. It's been ten days and my CC is down to .5.
This is my 15th season and I used Baqua Crud for 14, I saved all my receipts from the pool store
and have averaged $800 a season trying to keep the water clear. The pool is open 5 months a year (heater)
and my pool has NEVER looked this GREAT! Do it! money well spent! I used about 70 gallons of bleach.

if you have a well...consider a drain and refill...we can all sympathize with your situation...most of us have come to using BBB because we were tired of wasting money at the pool store...

there is no more economic way to maintain a pool than BBB :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Less bleach will be required if you let the baq sanitizer levels drop before you start the conversion...meaning don't add any for a couple of weeks THEN start the conversion. Unfortunately, though, Jason hit it on the head. Each pool is different and each conversion requires different amounts of bleach. For perspective, I converted my pool using about 20 gallons of bleach and 3 lbs of non-chlorine shock (I started the conversion prior to finding this site and followed the LPS advice). I started at 15 ppm of sanitzer. I think my conversion was quick and required less bleach than most because I was really diligent to keep free cl at 15 ppm for the entire first day.

If I were you, I would convert at the first opportunity. I don't know how long you have used Baq, but the honeymoon period is usually over after the first year or two. Once the white water mold, cloudiness, and algae problems start you will spend $125 per visit to the pool store vice $125 for the rest of the season. I now spend about $30 per month on my pool. While the conversion, test kit, and sand are a little pricey up front, you will save money in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.