Pool Sand or ZeoSand

Aug 15, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hello,
New here. Due to the shape and size of our back yard, we have a small rectangular Intex Ultra frame pool. It's aproximatly 6.5 feet by 15 feet, and holds about 2,500 gallons of water. It came with the little cartridge pump that is 500GPH. I decided that would not work, I needed something more powerful so I could use the vacuum and see some circulation. I ordered the new for 2016 Game SandPro 75D off of Amazon. I picked that one because that's what all of the pool stores sell in my area. It should be here in a few days. My question is now pool sand or ZeoSand? My pump takes 80 lbs, and I can get two 50# bags of Aqua Quartz pool sand at my local Ace hardware for $12 per bag. I can also get two 25# bags of ZeoSand delivered free off of EBay for $35, and they say that equals 100#'s. My question is does it really make a difference, would it matter on a pool as small as mine with a powerful pump, and any advice is appreciated.

image.jpg

You can search the forum for keywords like "zeolite" and "zeo-sand" and you'll find that most people find it makes no difference whatsoever. There are those die-hards that swear their pool is clearer because of it but none of the arguments have any quantifiable data in them. The consensus on TFP is to just stick with regular pool sand. Sand is millions of years old and will be here long after your pool has disintegrated into dust. You almost never need to change pool sand. So just get what you can at a reasonable price and it will last you forever.

You can search the forum for keywords like "zeolite" and "zeo-sand" and you'll find that most people find it makes no difference whatsoever. There are those die-hards that swear their pool is clearer because of it but none of the arguments have any quantifiable data in them. The consensus on TFP is to just stick with regular pool sand. Sand is millions of years old and will be here long after your pool has disintegrated into dust. You almost never need to change pool sand. So just get what you can at a reasonable price and it will last you forever.

Thanks! I started driving myself batty reading about how ZeoSand and 100 X's the surface area of sand and keeps your pool cleaner. I will just get real sand. I also searched the forum and found some good advice.
zeo sand vs silica sand

i am going with the sand, they have it over at Ace Hardware in stock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.