Backwashing in the rain

May 13, 2016
Austin, TX
We're getting some significant rain and I'm looking at having to drain some water out of the pool this evening. I haven't backwashed in a while and the pressure isn't super high but it's high enough that I figure I might as well take this opportunity to backwash rather than just wasting the water. I'll probably be doing it in the rain. However.. adding DE to the skimmer is going to be a bit awkward in the rain, while holding an umbrella in one hand. Is it dangerous to run the filter after backwashing without adding DE right away? Or should I make sure it stays off until I can add DE? I usually let it run overnight.

You do not want to run your pump very long without DE in the filter, so you need to add DE pretty quickly.

I think your problem is how you are adding your DE.. My guess is that you are adding dry DE to your skimmer.

Try this in a covered area... Take an empty five gallon bucket and put the amount of DE you want in your filter in the bucket. Add water until it is almost at the top of the bucket. (You'll be amazed at how much water you can still put in a bucket, even if it almost full of DE.) Mix the DE and water into a slurry, and then slowly pour it into the skimmer with the pump running.

Doing it this way works best for me and it does not matter if it is raining or not.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.