Is it common not having to backwash?

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
We got our first pool when we purchased our new house last year. When we opened it this year and replaced the failed liner, the company who did the maintenance gave us some advice how to maintain the pool. I never followed his advice as I learned about TFP and have been doing it since.

The gauge shows 10 psi when off, and fluctuates 10-16 psi while running, most I have seen it is 16 psi, but currently it is back down to 10-11 psi. It has been in use since the end of May. Is it normal it goes so long without having to be back washed? I keep the pool very clean, I have a Dolphin M400 and I skim the leaves every day or other day at best. The chemicals are in perfect, so I know it will last longer, but seems just worried I'm going too long.

It seems to work really well, the pressure changes, so I know it isn't "stuck" but usually is only 10-12, at some point it was around 16 but after getting the robot and keeping the pool clean I rarely see it over 12-14.
I am guessing they backwashed it when they did the liner and "opened" the pool. They mentioned they found the DE, and there was DE around the skimmer hole.

The filter is a Hayward DE7220.

Chris,

I have a couple of rent houses that have DE filters.. I never backwash, instead I break down the filter twice a year and clean everything and then put them back together with fresh DE. Of course both of these pool have VS pumps and my normal filter pressure is only about 3 PSI..

So, I suggest that after this season is over, you breakdown the filter whether the pressure goes up or not. It will give you an idea if you should backwash or clean more often.

Couple of questions for you..

1. What type of pump do you have?

2. How do you know your chemicals are "perfect"? How are you testing your water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Chris,

I have a couple of rent houses that have DE filters.. I never backwash, instead I break down the filter twice a year and clean everything and then put them back together with fresh DE. Of course both of these pool have VS pumps and my normal filter pressure is only about 3 PSI..

So, I suggest that after this season is over, you breakdown the filter whether the pressure goes up or not. It will give you an idea if you should backwash or clean more often.

Couple of questions for you..

1. What type of pump do you have?

2. How do you know your chemicals are "perfect"? How are you testing your water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

1hp single speed Hayward.

I'm testing with tft 100.

FC 5.5
Cc 0
Ta 80
Ch 100
pH 7.5
Cya 45

I suggest that its time to buy a new gauge. Just so you have one that reads zero when the pump is off. TFTestkits.net has them in stock. Do you take your gauge off in the winter, if not I suggest you do to protect it from the cold you get up there.

I suggest that its time to buy a new gauge. Just so you have one that reads zero when the pump is off. TFTestkits.net has them in stock. Do you take your gauge off in the winter, if not I suggest you do to protect it from the cold you get up there.

I am not sure if the gauge was removed. First year here and we had the company that did their weekly service replace the liner and open the pool. I will look Into a gauge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris.

I have a 15k Gal Gunite pool with a 36 Sq Ft ED Filter. Based on my experiences, I don't pull my DE Filter Grids on a timed basis but my pool may be an anomaly as compared to general forum (& elsewhere) recommendations regarding DE Filter Grid assembly maint.

I last replaced my DE Grid Assembly w/clean Grids on 09/18/13 .

I have a Multiport Valve. Here's my Backwash routine:

- Turn off Pump. Wait ~5 seconds for Handle to relax.
- Rotate to BW pos. Turn Pump on; run for ~10-15 seconds while watching Sight Glass. At that elapsed time, the glass usually clears up somewhat.
- Rotate to Rinse pos. Run pump for ~10 seconds.
- Repeat above cycles 10 times. That's probably more cycles than average pool owners do with DE & Multiport Valves. I'm guessing this is why I haven't seen the need to pull my Grids for an external cleanup as 10 cycles removes most of the old DE in the filter. I also recharge w/new DE using the "80%" rule (charge with ~80% of the filter-specified DE charge).

My normal 'clean/best case' PSI is about 12-13. This is the PSI reading with a new DE Grid Assembly before charging w/new DE.

I'm using TFP Glycerin 0-30 PSI Gauge on my DE Filter.

Here's my DE Filter / Backwash history since switching to TFP (Bleach / CYA ratio) methods. I switched to TFP in June '14. Prior to that, my Backwash duration cycles averaged around every 4-6 weeks, sometimes sooner.

Since I haven't seen a rise in my 'clean' PSI after each Backwash, I haven't pulled my Grids on a timed basis. I have a complete spare assembled DE Grid Assembly so in the event I need to change the Grids out fast, I have that option available.

I also installed the TFP Flow Meter in December to provide another data point as it relates to DE BW requirements. I only have 1 BW data point with the Flow Meter. The flow was about 38 before BW & 50 with new DE.

My best-case Flow (in 'Recirc' position w/Multiport Valve) is about 58 .

Attachments

• aaa.JPG
    aaa.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 101
Chris.

I have a 15k Gal Gunite pool with a 36 Sq Ft ED Filter. Based on my experiences, I don't pull my DE Filter Grids on a timed basis but my pool may be an anomaly as compared to general forum (& elsewhere) recommendations regarding DE Filter Grid assembly maint.

I last replaced my DE Grid Assembly w/clean Grids on 09/18/13 .

I have a Multiport Valve. Here's my Backwash routine:

- Turn off Pump. Wait ~5 seconds for Handle to relax.
- Rotate to BW pos. Turn Pump on; run for ~10-15 seconds while watching Sight Glass. At that elapsed time, the glass usually clears up somewhat.
- Rotate to Rinse pos. Run pump for ~10 seconds.
- Repeat above cycles 10 times. That's probably more cycles than average pool owners do with DE & Multiport Valves. I'm guessing this is why I haven't seen the need to pull my Grids for an external cleanup as 10 cycles removes most of the old DE in the filter. I also recharge w/new DE using the "80%" rule (charge with ~80% of the filter-specified DE charge).

My normal 'clean/best case' PSI is about 12-13. This is the PSI reading with a new DE Grid Assembly before charging w/new DE.

I'm using TFP Glycerin 0-30 PSI Gauge on my DE Filter.

Here's my DE Filter / Backwash history since switching to TFP (Bleach / CYA ratio) methods. I switched to TFP in June '14. Prior to that, my Backwash duration cycles averaged around every 4-6 weeks, sometimes sooner.

Since I haven't seen a rise in my 'clean' PSI after each Backwash, I haven't pulled my Grids on a timed basis. I have a complete spare assembled DE Grid Assembly so in the event I need to change the Grids out fast, I have that option available.

I also installed the TFP Flow Meter in December to provide another data point as it relates to DE BW requirements. I only have 1 BW data point with the Flow Meter. The flow was about 38 before BW & 50 with new DE.

My best-case Flow (in 'Recirc' position w/Multiport Valve) is about 58 .

Thank you for the detailed response!
I ordered the TFP Glycerin 0-30 PSI Gauge to replace the gauge that is on there. At some point I might do the Flow meter, but for now I'm just going to replace the gauge. I want to reroute and clean up the piping at some point and might consider it then. I need to learn how to clean the grids, I've never taken it apart.

oh5x53.jpg

You'll like that TFP PSI Gauge. I installed mine in April '15. It's a lot easier to read accurate PSI due to the 1-30 scaling. What I like best about it is the glycerin prevents condensation on the gauge lens. With the cheap pool-store plastic lens gauges, the lens always had condensation on it making it difficult to read the PSI.

Regarding the DE Grid cleaning procedures, check out this thread at this forum for some tips.

Here's another link that may help:

Cleaning a DE Filter

I always assemble my Grids with the Grid Retainer upside down, at the top of the assembly. It's easier for me to do it that way.

Attachments

• aaa.JPG
    aaa.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 87
I have the new gauge and it is pretty much the same thing. It goes to zero unlike the old one but it fluctuates from 5-8. When the skimmer basket is cleaned and pool is clear it is typically 5-6. When it is full it may go up to 8.

This is same behavior of old gauge but it zeroed at 10 and fluctuated between 15-18.

I haven't backwashed all season and it's getting time to close soon.

I love the new gauge as I can read it from far away but it seems the old one was accurate just zeroed 10 higher.

But I wonder if it is likely I could go all season without having to backwash? The pool is crystal clear and I keep it very clean and on top of the chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.