Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My TA was very very low, so I added baking soda. I added only half the amt from the pool calculator, but I must have entered something wrong or tested wrong originally, because now my TA is 150. Here are my numbers

FC 5.5
CC 0
TA 150
CH 100
CYA 40-50

I'm working on getting the CYA up to 60 and the TA down to 80. As you know, getting the TA down is a long process. Is there any problem with taking a few weeks to get the TA down?

Thx.

No but it doesn't have to take that long if you have a good way to aerate. Just keep your pH at 7 while you aerate and keep checking the TA until it's on target and then stop adding acid and just aerate until the pH rises. From where you are now it should take no more than a few days! If you want to do it slowly then just lower your pH to 7, don't worry about aeration since the pH will rise on it's own, just slowly. Whenever the ph rises above about 7.8 lower it back down to 7.0. This will eventually lower your TA but it will take weeks!

However, since you have a SWG I would recommend doing it the first way since you don't want to accidentally create scaling conditions by a pH spike. Also, shoot for 80 on the CYA instead of 60. Just use the pool calculator to determine the amount needed, put it all in and test it in a week. Don't even worry about it for a week since the full amount can take that long dissolve and be readable.

these two threads might be of help:
how-to-lower-ta-t5341.html
water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.