Suncoast Value Chlor 3" large stabilized chlorinating tablets CYA Levels ?

Aug 14, 2016
Jacksonville, Florida
Suncoast Value Chlor 3" large stabilized chlorinating tablets CYA Levels ?

Local pool store is pushing these to customers like an aggressive car salesman selling used cars at the end of the month. I am floating these things in my pool and am wondering if these also cause CYA issues. I searched TFP for this brand/label but did not find the specific detail. I'll remove today if these can cause more harm than good, my water is crystal clear (after recent drain and fill, and I generally keep the chlorine on the lower end of the spectrum, but after one week away = green algae that forced drain, liner scrub, and refill, local utility loves me for the water / sewer costs i incur.

Thanks for any advice, this site is great !

- - - Updated - - -

My little first pool

IMG_2868.jpg

That's a nice little pool!

There is nothing wrong with using tabs as long as you know what your CYA is and you keep your chlorine in the right spot. But you are correct that only using the tablets will constantly raise your CYA, so you have to keep an eye on it. Once your CYA is where you want it, switching to liquid chlorine would be ideal.

That little pool was cheap, but site prep tool rentals including large tiller and industrial grade plate compactor, pool store chemical recommendation purchases (LOL), filter pump upgrade, and prep time for near perfect level was around 3-4 times the cost : ) .. but the huge smiling "thank you daddy" from my daughter was worth it... I am pulling the tab floater until the new test kit comes, that last algae bloom was terrible, fought for 3 days and it seemed to worsen. I seem to be going through a lot of chlorine too, trying to get an average, but lately, if we swim in it, I'm adding around 32-48 ounces of chlorine that night before bed, on average (sunny days - every day in Florida :) without swimming, I'm adding 16-32 ounces of chlorine, seems high to me, but do not have CYA levels yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.