recommendation for replacement pump motor

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
After several posts trying to figure out what is wrong with my pump motor, and not getting any replies, I tried to find the bearings thinking I would try replacing them, but I cannot even figure out what type to buy. I called Nidec/US Motors, and they gave me a really long part number that produces zero results in Google search. I am thinking about plan B, and replacing the motor. So my question is - are all motors the same, or should I buy one brand in particular? Also, can I buy a variable speed motor for my Hayward Super Pump, or do I just stick with the regular 1 HP one I have now? My motor is leas than 3 yrs old, and would rather get one this time that would last a bit longer!

Also, if the 2 speed is an option, is there other things I have to buy to make that work? I am a bit unclear on how you switch from low to high speed, when to use high vs low, etc...

Here is the video of the sound the motor is making, and I am thinking it is bearings, but not sure - Pool pump bearings bad - YouTube

Here you go. How To Replace the Motor on Your Pool Pump - INYOPools.com

A 2 speed motor will move 1/2 the water for 1/4 of the electric cost on low as it does on high. You can buy a toggle switch to mount on the back of the pump to switch between low and high speed. Run on low speed for filtering and high speed for vacuuming. Your filter will be more efficient with the pump operating on low speed.

All the "stuff" for the two speed is inside the motor. All you need to add is a toggle switch to switch between which internal windings the motor is using.
If you only replace the motor you'd want to stick with a 1hp two speed or variable.

That pinhole leak you sealed looks like it might have been spraying right on the housing for the front bearing.
Did you end up removing the debris in the impeller housing ??
Did you replace that split impeller. Might be the impeller is wobbling on the shaft causing the noise since the video doesn't sound like the grinding or screech I'm more familiar with from a bad bearing.

Sorry about your one thread not getting any response. Sometimes stuff just slips by.

The pinhole leak was sealed right away, so not sure the leak had much of a chance of causing any damage. The JB Weld patch has held for about 2.5 years. I did notice a few days ago that a little water is leaking from under the patch I put on, so I scraped off any loose patch material, and reapplied another patch, but it is not holding.

As far as the impeller, I replaced it, and the seals (both that spring thing, and the other ring part), but that did not solve the problem. The sound is not grinding, it is more like an echoing metalic sound. It gets louder a bit further into the video.

I was going to try and replace the bearings, because that is pretty inexpensive (but kind of a pain), but I cannot seem to find the bearing part numbers anywhere. I called US Motors, and they gave me a super long alpha-numeric number but I could not find anything online matching it.

Given that there is a pinhole leak in the pump housing, and the motor has some strange noises, I am wondering if I should buy a new housing and motor or just buy a new pump. Near as I can tell, an AOS/Century 1hp single speed motor will cost me about $140 (or $208 for the "Energy Efficient" motor), and the pump housing another $190. New pump model SP2607X10 is $361 on Amazon. Not sure if you saw my original post, with the pictures, but the motor has a lot of corrosion on it. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.