Can someone identify what this piece of equipment is? (and what it does)

Looks like a mineral sanitizer (I think), like the Nature2 system.

Yep, after googling, I believe you're right. I can make out the word "VISION" on the sticker but that's about it. I was thinking it said "VISIONE", but I think it's just "VISION PRO" with the PRO written horizontally.

So that's how the pool uses so little chlorine (the previous owner told me it was a "low chlorine" pool. Whatever mineral is being supplied through here is helping sanitize the water.

So that's how the pool uses so little chlorine (the previous owner told me it was a "low chlorine" pool. Whatever mineral is being supplied through here is helping sanitize the water.
That is incorrect. I would start by reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, then reading about the various ways chlorine can be delivered to your pool. There is no "low chlorine" pool......nor is there any other chemical sanitizing your water except chlorine.

I'd suggest taking a sample of water in to the local pool shop and asking them to test for metals. Nature2 mineral systems use copper &/or silver to augment the chlorine. We don't recommend using them and they can cause problems with pool staining, green hair and nails....and in one case a dog!:mrgreen:

:goodpost: Usually we never direct someone to the pool store but in your case it would be good to get a reading on metals so you know where you are.

I can attest to this. My pool is brand new (less than 2 months new) and the PB installed a Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line chlorinator (3" Tri-Chlor Pucks) along with the Nature2 mineral sanitizer. Mine looks almost exactly like yours, but newer of course. The replacement Nature2 cartridges cost $75.00 at my local Leslie's pool store. They are required to be replaced every 6 months. I can buy over a year supply of liquid chlorine bleach for about the same cost and get rid of the 3" tri-chlor tabs saving me even more.

My PB sold me on this system as being a "low chlorine" system too. I was told that all I needed was 0.5ppm - 1.0ppm of free chlorine (FC) to operate the pool. After trying to keep the pool sanitized and setting my Rainbow in-line chlorine dispenser on a max setting of 5 to maintain that level of FC, I still could not keep the pool properly sanitized without adding about 1.5 lbs of Cal-Hypo (better known as Shock from the pool store) every time we used the pool. Eventually, my water went cloudy. This was about one week ago. I found this site, read all the great info in Pool School, learned how to use the Pool Math Calculator and got some help from veteran pool owners on the site that use the TFPC method. Today, my water is absolutely beautiful. Thread is here if you are interested.

If this were my pool equipment, I would remove the Vision Pro cartridge inside that tower if there is one for the reasons mentioned above. It introduces copper and silver into your water which could eventually precipitate out of your water and into your plaster. I have removed it on my pool even though the tower is still plumbed in-line and my pool is less than 2 months old. You'll save money and you'll be able to guarantee that your pool water is safe instead of relying on marketing hype.

Good luck with the pool. Hang around here a bit and you'll be up and running with a sparkling pool at the least cost possible in no time. The folks on this site truly do know what they are doing. I had 100% faith in every bit of advice I was given during my situation. There are countless other success stories on this site as well. The results speak for themselves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.