Preparing for a big rain

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi all

Looking for some advice in advance of a big rain tomorrow - current weather report is saying anywhere from 25-60 mm of rain (1 - 2.5 in).

I am concerned about the pool overflowing, as well as chlorine levels.

Should I dose the pool with some chlorine ahead of the event? Should I draw down the water ahead of time?

Overflowing is annoying in many cases, and can cause damage, so you can pump down using backwash or drain to waste.

All else being equal but the rain, chlorine is no concern whatsoever if you have your FC/CYA ratio correct before the rain. Both are diluted equally so the ratio remains the same.

Accompanying wind can bring higher organic load into the pool.

Draining down ahead depends whether you'll be around to do it during the rain. Some people raise FC because of expected leaves, bugs, etc.

Generally, the only thing an inch of rain does is add an inch of water to the pool and raise PH through aeration. Some folks with high CH or CYA look forward to getting some low CH/CYA water for free. Otherwise rain is a non-event.

Awesome. Thanks both. I will pump down tonight - we had a big rain the past two days and water went above the skimmer line so we pumped down to below. We have about 2 inches to spare, before water goes over pool....so given lack of head room, it seems to make sense to bring 'er down a wee but more!

Cheers
Tom

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Is there any problem with your pool being too full, other than the fact that the skimmer may not work? I normally don't bother pumping water out as I usually have to add water to my pool due to evaporation. So what's the big deal if your skimmer doesn't collect debris for a few days or so? You can manually skim if you care.

Is there any problem with your pool being too full, other than the fact that the skimmer may not work? I normally don't bother pumping water out as I usually have to add water to my pool due to evaporation. So what's the big deal if your skimmer doesn't collect debris for a few days or so? You can manually skim if you care.

No big deal with that...except back to back big rains will cause water to overflow from the pool....

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

I would need about 15cm of rain to cause my pool to overflow and that hasn't happened in the 9 years so I have had the pool.

lol - with the non-accuracy of the rain predictions this summer, I might consider holding off on that unless you absolutely have to! I personally would welcome not having to pay to top off this summer. They say there could be up to 60 cm rain tomorrow in some spots, but I'm not holding my breath....

... there could be up to 60 cm rain tomorrow in some spots, but I'm not holding my breath....
I think that is mm, not cm. An order of magnitude of difference!

Special Weather Statement

Issued at 12:04 Monday 15 August 2016

A significant widespread rainfall event is expected beginning overnight or early Tuesday morning and ending Tuesday evening. Rainfall amounts will range from 25 to 40 mm in most places. There may be appreciably higher amounts exceeding 60 mm in some locales.

The system responsible for this rainfall is a slow-moving low pressure system from Texas. It will bring tropical moisture from the Gulf of Mexico to Southern Ontario.

Rainfall warnings may be issued if a more significant event of widespread 50 mm or more appears more certain.

###

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

lol - you're right of course! My head said mm, fingers wanted cm. Nice to have the water level up naturally for the first time this summer. Might even give me a few days before topping up (splashing and diving dog is not conducive to keeping water in the pool!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't worry about the pool overflowing. The water that comes out of the pool is going to be less than what would have hit the yard if the pool wasn't there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.