water flow slows down after awhile through pump

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
I appear to have a Dynamo 2HP pump with a Sand-dollar sand filter.

I do not have a timer yet.

After a couple of hours or so, the water flow is noticeably less coming out of the return. Also, from looking in the skimmer there is less 'suction'.

The skimmer basket is not full, nowhere near it. The basket inside the pump is clean.

Sometimes, the flow practically stops to where you can hardly feel any water at all coming out of the return.

The sound of the pump does not change so it doesn't appear to be slowing down.

I can turn the pump off and wait a few hours and turn it on and everything is normal again.... for a few more hours then slows again.

Backwashing does not make the pump run normally longer. I see no leaks, no bubbling or air rushing through line.

Any suggestions?

Take a look inside the pump strainer basket, through the lid, while the pump is running and see if there is any air in the basket when the flow is normal and when the flow slows down. If there is air accumulating in the basket over time and then going away when the pump is off, that could be the source of the problem.

JasonLion said:
Take a look inside the pump strainer basket, through the lid, while the pump is running and see if there is any air in the basket when the flow is normal and when the flow slows down. If there is air accumulating in the basket over time and then going away when the pump is off, that could be the source of the problem.

There is no difference that I can see through the lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.