stinky hot water smell from pool chemicals?

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi
So one can get stinky hot water from bacteria in the tank. Ours was recently cleaned. But...

Do pool testing in downstairs bathroom lavatory.
Today upon entering smelled no stinky hot water.
Did FC test and rinsed stuff down the drain. Smelled no stinky hot water.
Did pH and rinsed stuff down the drain. Smelled no stinky hot water.
Did CH test and rinsed stuff down the drain and - got a whiff of stinky hot water.

Is it possible to get stinky hot water smell from pool chemicals mixing in the trap?

If there's organics in the floor drain, the pool water or chlorine would create chloramines (motel pool smell)

I put vinegar or dilute acid down them now and then to kill stuff in floor drains. Thinking about a half pail of pool water for that chore, with an extra teaspoon (5 ml) of bleach. Doesn't sound like yours was dry in the p-trap but that can be a source of odor.

I would flush the hot water tank really good and if possible, inspect the anode, replace if need be, and have a gander in the tank.

For the life of me, I cannot imagine the volume of pool testing chemistry you use having ANY, ANT effect on your drain smelling, If anything, My assumption it is helping keep it clear.

Are you saying that you get a smell from the hot water out of your tap or your drain? They are not connected. If the smell is coming from your hot water tap, that is a byproduct of bacteria in your hot water tank......it does not connect to the drain that takes in your pool chemistry.

If there's organics in the floor drain, the pool water or chlorine would create chloramines (motel pool smell)

I put vinegar or dilute acid down them now and then to kill stuff in floor drains. Thinking about a half pail of pool water for that chore, with an extra teaspoon (5 ml) of bleach. Doesn't sound like yours was dry in the p-trap but that can be a source of odor.

I would flush the hot water tank really good and if possible, inspect the anode, replace if need be, and have a gander in the tank.

Thanks

Is not a floor drain, is a lavatory drain.
Plumber was here last week for annual service and drained bleached the hot water tank. Anode was new last year. We do not have stinky hot water when running the faucets.

Only time I get a whiff is when doing FC and pH. And so wondered if FC and pH chemicals rinsed down the lavatory drain can make an odor.

- - - Updated - - -

For the life of me, I cannot imagine the volume of pool testing chemistry you use having ANY, ANT effect on your drain smelling, If anything, My assumption it is helping keep it clear.

Are you saying that you get a smell from the hot water out of your tap or your drain? They are not connected. If the smell is coming from your hot water tap, that is a byproduct of bacteria in your hot water tank......it does not connect to the drain that takes in your pool chemistry.

Whiff of odor is in the general area above the lavatory, cannot pinpoint to hot water faucet or drain. But as above, we have no odor when simply running hot water faucets as anode, tank, etc have all be recently cleaned.

Not a big deal but is interesting. What is my sniffer sniffing?

so then two months later answer is out
what is the answer?
turns out our septic tank pump was failing and we were getting intermittent burps of septic tank gas
not hot water, not reagents, rather septic tank whiffs

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.